Axolotl Tank Set Up Questions

Oh, and when my axie arrives, should I feed him? Or wait a day?

Sounds like the fan should do the trick. For feeding the axolotl, from what I've read a lot of breeders will fast their axolotl for a couple or a few days to ensure their water in the bag stays clean (so they don't poop in it). I would say to let them settle into the new tank for an hour or so to give him some time to explore and calm down a little and try a worm and see if he eats it.

I got my axolotl from a small LFS and he ate after a short while of being settled down in the tank. He was still eating black worms since he was small. He had been fed out of a feeding bowl so after a short time in his new tank I found him in the bowl eating the worms I had put in.

I have a TON of stones in my backyard, is there someway that I can put them in my tank? How would I clean them off?

First scrub off everything that you can and then boil them (or pour boiling water over them if they're too big). But don't use the rocks if they look rusty and keep in mind that limestone for example can affect GH.

There also shouldn't be any sharp edges etc.

The axie that's coming is 3 inches, will he be too small for nightcrawlers, even if I cut them into smaller pieces?

The axie that's coming is 3 inches, will he be too small for nightcrawlers, even if I cut them into smaller pieces?

You'll probably only use a third of the large night crawlers so you can cut off the tail and cut it into maybe a third of an inch chunks and feed it that way

Great, sounds good! I'll also be moving my tank into the basement, and digging through all of the stuff, I found out my tank is actually a twelve gallon! Haha

My axie came! Handsome little guy, and I think I'll call him Toothless. (Yes, like the dragon!) Perfect limbs, and already eating the bloodworms I offered him! I'll have to take a picture later, he's still a little shy! Btw I ordered him from Axolotl Factory, and had great service! The package he came in was packaged great, with thermal wrap, an ice pack, and bubble wrap! I recommend her, great prices and shipping was $15! Thank you all for the help!

Here he is! (Sorry for bad quality)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 234
Oh, and I hear to try and make their stomach as wide as their head. Is this per feeding or in general?

In general. At that size it's still growing lengthwise so you can feed it until it stops eating each day and it won't get fat. The more nutrition it has the more likely it will reach it's intended size.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back