Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White spots on gills?

Salina

Reaction score
Hi!

so i might be paranoid but my axolotl, who i just got recently, has white spots on his gills and i'm not sure if that's just his colouration or not because i haven't had him that long but tell me if it looks unusual. Also I only just started using children's playground sand as substrate for him today, he's about 6 inches and i've seen him spitting out sand. Is he gonna be alright?

Attachments

• IMG_2575.jpg
    IMG_2575.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 895
Last edited:

Wysper

Reaction score
The lighter spots on his gills appear to be iridaphores due to his coloration.

Spitting out sand is a good thing, just means he got some in his mouth or while feeding. It will happen from time to time when he eats, nothing to worry about. He is old enough and big enough to pass sand without issue.

Younger axolotls can still become impacted from sand, so they shouldn't be kept on sand substrate until at least 4-5".

He is a very pretty golden with lots of speckles!

Skudo09

Reaction score
Reiterating as already mentioned above, the white spots are iridophores and part of the colouration. He should be able to pass the sand. However, it is best practice to minimise how much sand they consume by hand feeding well above the surface of the sand or feeding them using a dish or jar.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1