Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: [HELP] Stripped Gills (Photos Inclued)

DamianVenegas

Reaction score
First: I'm from Chile and talk spanish, and my english is bad but i will try no explain te problem.

My axolot Lost... these things like the hair of the gills. (See the Photos)
I read a lot of topics and say yes but when i see the photos, every axolot have these little hair in their gills, but not own,

I want know why? and... Can gills of my axolot grow again ?

History
This Axolot are found for my Parents in Chile when i was in Mexico. I Always (for many years) looking for an Axolot but i never found it. So, when my parents see the little larv they decided buy to me. But they don't know anything from axolots, but sarch in internet (in the Spanish websites don't have many information.) and their Caer are good, but not perfect, The axolot become sick sometimes for the food (a lot of chicken first, then, tubifex but dryed, not wet for a time...). The Change of water aen't with cycled water, they use a water conditioner for the cloride, and the tank are so little (30x25x20 or some like that, and don't have a filter. But with all of these think, she mantain good (i don't know how).

Another thing, when i was in mexico anoter girl was live in my house and she play so rough with the axolot, and touch a lot her gills, when nobody are in home. One time my parents come back and see Misiluki and they notices that the her house are in other position, the levels of the water are diferent, misiluki become scary and lost her gills. (Obviously she aren't anymore in my House, :mad:)

Photo of Misiluki (is their name) BEFORE lost her Gills:
IMG-20170605-WA00002_zpsimi5qs4k.jpg

Photo of the Misiluki when i came from Mexico:
20170604_1409091_zpsb2oijryi.jpg

Photo of water conditioner:
$_57.JPG

Photo of the Air Compressor and Sponge Filter; Liofilizated Bloodworms also (in Chile you can't found frozen bloodworms.)... I give to misiluki Eartworms (without fertilized or chemical things) but misiluki always vomit the skin.:
20170619_1428081_zps3yyycqhu.jpg

Photo with the things in the old tank (i can't obtain the tank before)
20170619_1727231_zps81rz5tnr.jpg

PD: I bought the cup also, and Misiluki have a lot of curiosity haha... and i know that is so little, but, the next day i can take the new tank.

Photo of new Tank (90x60x45):
20170620_1605201_zpsboss3xps.jpg

Photo of Misiluki, Yesterday:
20170626_1147531_zpsf8hu1pmg.jpg

Another thing is that the seller say that is the last larve, the minior, shorter and the most weak. And he say that misiluki have 3 months, but i don't belive that. If the misiluki have 3 months when my parents boguth, thei have 6-7 months old, but for the photos, i think that misiluki only have 4-5 months. And Misiluki size is 11 Cm.

And, another thing, misiluki don't eat if i dont give the food in the mouth. Misiluki never "hunt" the food.

Another Facts:
-The air compressor capacity is 6Lts per minute.
-The temperature in the tank are always between 14-17°C
-I Cover a Tank with a black rope.
- I Looking for a good rocks of rivers to put in the tank
- I will search the plants to put also. Any Recomendations?
- I don't have sustrate or anything in the bottom of the tank.

So, i repeat the questions:

I want know why Misiluki lost their Gills? and... Can gills of my axolot grow again ?

Thanks a lot for Reading, and i will want your answers. :(

SimoneB

Reaction score
Check your water parameters, move it in the larger tank but cycle it before. Rise the temperature a bit (14° is a bit to low) 18° is the best, (low temperatures slow their metabolism) the gills will grow back

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!