Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New daddy of the axie (please help)

mineiscalledexo

Reaction score
Hey, i have been wanting an axie for about 3 years and 2 days ago i finally got one its super cute and it is a green/black colour.
The people in the shop that i got it from did not know how old it was but they said he isnt 1 year old yet and they also did not know wether it was a boy or a girl.
Now i bought a tank wich is 100 litres and designed the inside myself since i have been wanting an axie for so long im a bit overexcited hehe.
So the tank looks great and had an build in filter wich broke down as soon as i put the water in so i immidiately went to a shop and bought a new filter for the waterflow i also bought a tempature meter (sorry for the bad english i am from holland but i am trying my best)
I have been giving him those cubes you put in the fridge with little worms in them and i also give him living shrimps because thats what the person in the shop gave to me.
The problem i am having though is that the water is 21 celcius ( around 74F i think) and that is too high from what i have read, i closed the curtains i took off the lid and also placed my standing fan above the tank to cool it but it does not change anything, beside that my axie's left gills are a little bit white eventhough they are supposed to be red, it is not much but a little is red and since i only had my baby for 2 days im a bit scared, i also turned off the light in the tank because it might turn the water warmer and stress out my axie. I have a bottle in the fridge wich i will put in the water to see if something changes. I read about a cooler but the rponlem is that im 18 i dont have a job and spend over 600£ on everything for the aquarium and pump and food etc i dont have more then 30£ left and i am really worried, my axie is acting fine though like nothing is going on i just dont want my axie to get ill, any help is welcome please

mineiscalledexo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and yeah i have been doing that the past 2 days but none of them have the exact same circumstances as i have and i want to be 100% sure what to do and not make a mistake because my tank might be different or something like that

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1