Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First Time Hatching Axolotls

Sammybug26

Reaction score
Greetings from Massachusetts!

I got my first axolotl two years ago from a family acquaintance while I was in college. She was leucistic and only about two inches long at the time. Her parents were a giant male wildtype and a female leucistic. For unknown reasons, my axolotl never grew as fast as her siblings, so she was called "Pippy-Squeak". She was housed in a 10-gallon tank (and later a 20-gallon) and fed frozen blood worms and live nightcrawlers. She reached maturity (darkened toes) at only around four and a half inches long. She never surpassed six inches. In January of this year (2019), Pip, unfortunately, passed away due to impaction and medical complications at the vet due to her small size. I was heartbroken but decided not to give up on trying to keep axolotls, so I contacted the breeder I got Pip from and she was able to give me some axolotl eggs that were related to Pip. They weren't from the same parents, but they were from some of those parents' other offspring, making these new eggs Pip's nieces and nephews if you were to apply human familial terms to them. It has been a real struggle with these babies, but it has been a really interesting learning experience overall. Any advice is greatly appreciated! There were a lot of mutations and deformities (cyclops axolotls!), so a lot have not made it, despite my best efforts. There are 20 left right now. They hatched in late April and the biggest is just over an inch long now. Is that normal?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!