The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 6th September 2019   #1
Bagginslover

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Bagginslover is an unknown quantity at this point
Post De-salinating equipment?

Has anyone had any experience of de-salinating previously used marine tank equipment, for use with axolotls?

One of my 3 is moving to my school soon, and we are in the process of setting up his tank here, but much of the equipment we have was recently used as a marine environment, including a very nice chiller (which I will be borrowing during the summer!).

Is it just a case of running water through for a while, or is there anything that will clean it all out faster?

many thanks!

Bagginslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2019   #2
KumquatSquats

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KumquatSquats has started on the right path
Default Re: De-salinating equipment?

I don't have any personal experience with the process but I would assume running clean water through it for a few days would reduce the salinity enough to be safe for axolotls, they can tolerate low levels of salt so you wouldn't need it to be 100% cleared out.