Alpine newt care

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AJ
Hey, I am getting 6 juvenile alpine newts soon. For thier first few months I plan on using a ten gallon with 2-4 inches of water with fake plants and java moss. There will just be an airstone. There will also be a floating island that the juvies can climb up on but they can't get completely dry. I will feed them frozen bloodworms, live whiteworms, and chopped worms/nighcrawlers. How does that sound?

Then I will move them into my 37 gallon most likely which is 30" long, 12" wide, 22" tall. They will have around 12" of water. Same foods. Same island. But they will have a sponge filter and a tetra wisper filter 3i.

They will hav java moss and fake plants. Maybe elodea. How much light does elodea need? Also my temps are 70-73 summer, 62-68 winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
AJ, did you bother reading this care sheet on them? It answers every single question you asked about them.

Elodea doesn't require a ton of light. Matter of fact, mine does just fine with the light from the room alone.

I have to agree...
Although i understand the urge to ask every single doubt(i really do), even if one already thinks he knows the answer, it has to be said that a lot of your posts are basically the same AJ....the only thing that changes is the species or a few details...
Most if not all the questions i ever read from you are already answered elsewhere in the forum...even in previous posts made by you.
Please use the caresheets and the search function more often, instead of relying on members to answer your questions, when possible. For the rest, here we are.

If anything, AJ, I think that this shows that you know much more about Caudates than you give yourself credit for. As the others said, if you are unsure, check the forum and the care-sheets, then if your question isn't answered post a thread.

I have went threw the forums/threads and read the care sheet. I just wanted to do a double check before actually setting up the set-up and getting the newts. I want to be 100% ready. Sorry for any repitition.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back