Alpine Newt Breeding Group Setup

salamandra

Reaction score
Country
England
This is my Alpine Newt Setup
I have a group of 10 Alpine Newts at the moment but i also have another 3 sexed pairs that will be here on monday. I just wanted to show everybody my new setup. :happy: Any comments?

125 Liters
80cm Long, 35cm Wide, 50cm Deep

Picture6956.jpg

Some more pic's

Picture6957.jpg

Picture6959.jpg

Picture6960.jpg

Picture6961.jpg

Picture6964.jpg

Picture6965.jpg

I have not had this group long enough to breed them properly yet but when i first got these Alpine Newts they randomly layed 6 eggs :confused: and i morphed them all but this pic is of the first 4 :happy:

Picture.jpg

More pic's to come

Your setup looks great. All the plants will be good for egg laying. In my experience the M. a. apuanus prefered laying on the ferns you have and elodea, the plants in there look ideal. Your males look great too. The best of luck to you, I am confident you will see some eggs this spring. Will you be pulling the eggs out and raising them separately?

Yes i will be putting the eggs into another tank when they breed but im abit worried that the new 3 sexed pairs im getting will lay eggs because they have been kept on land for a while and i cant get hold of ANY live foods for the larvea. All i did was put the babies i have now into a big bucket in the guarden with loads of live plants like in my setup and they did all the work :p and when they got near to morphing stage i just got them into tubs in my room and they did fine. But i cant just put any eggs in a bucket with plants when its near winter so i would have to just let the eggs die if the new pairs breed :(

So ive got to find some place that dose live foods small enuf for the larvea before next spring and if these new pairs im getting breed then ive got to find some place fast.

So i will have a 16 strong breeding group and 6 juv's ready for next spring and i will have to meany larvea to just put in buckets in the guarden :confused:

Also Andrew ive been told its better to have more males than females because females normaly breed with more than 1 male? is this correct? or is it fine to have the same amount of each sex?

My god all the females are almost ALWAYS in the hides but the males dont seem to care? hahaha

Also some more pic's
Picture6967.jpg

Picture6968.jpg

Picture6969.jpg

Image035.jpg

Just wait antill the 3 pairs im getting monday go in and it will look much better

alpine newts they look really good jake i hope you get them breeding next year.

c u soon at the rep show....

I don´t know but if it was my setup I would ad more hides and a larger land area with hides as well.

Cheers,
Vide

They are doing fine at the moment :happy:

If i think they need a bigger land area I will make it happen but at the moment they are doing great and maybe I will get another log for them to hide under :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back