Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra Salamandra mouth sore

firesalamander1

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Was worried about my little guy, I have him and a female together in a tub in a wine fridge. They are on damp paper towel and eat mostly crickets. usually 65°F in there. Anyone know how to treat this?

Attachments

• 20150429_011435.jpg
    20150429_011435.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 577
  • 20150429_011425.jpg
    20150429_011425.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 350
  • 20150429_011257.jpg
    20150429_011257.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 336

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I would treat it with triple antibiotic or silvidine. I would consider having it tested for chytrid. Watch that the humidity does not get to high.

firesalamander1

Reaction score
Thanks. Im assuming that I need to take him to a vet to see if it is chytrid. What would cause a random onset of chytrid? I have had them two years already no problems

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I have no useful information but you can get a test for B. salamadrivorans for 18$ I think from these people RAL - Test : Reptile

Don't use the antibiotic with pain killer. I'd probably take him to a vet that treats amphibians rather than risk something off the shelf at a store. if it doesn't get matter with whatever broad spectrum treatment they give you, you'll have to have it cultured for a specific treatment. Don't wait. Any idea what happened?

MasSalvaje

Reaction score
One of my students brought in a S. salamandra that had similar sores on various parts of the body. I didn't know what caused it but my first guess was cricket bites that then may have broken out into something similar to a canker sore. I treated it by putting it in a smaller container with a simple hide on sterile paper towels. I soaked it a couple of times in a water/pedialyte mix to make sure her overall balance was good. I fed her a small piece of a worm a couple of times a day until her appetite came back and the rest she did on her own. In about a month all of the sores were gone and she is now doing very well.

I don't have a vet near me that knows anything about amphibs so I had to go at it on my own using things I have used on other reptiles and amphibians and with suggestions from various contacts. Please DON'T take the above experience as an endorsement to forgo vet attention. If you have access to a qualified professional, take it in.

-Thomas

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Of course salamanders are not disposable pets.

It is a personal decision wether you want to spend a couple hundred dollars for vet care for an inexpensive fire salamander. Chytrid can be latent and surface when the salamander is stressed. In my area their are no real good amphibian vets. Most charge a 60.00 exotics fee and want a followup visit. You can't be certain of what is going on without the wound being tested by a vet. Their are some good guesses you can make for home treatment before or without going to a vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!