Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Paddle Tail Newt + other fish?

PandahHD

Reaction score
We've had a paddle tail newt now for about 5/6 years who was previously in a tank full of fish, caecilians, dragon gobies and all sorts and never had any problems with any of them.

About a month ago the tank experienced a white spot outbreak so we had to move the caecilians into a second tank and the newt into a new third tank (as the treatment was very likely to harm them).

We decided after it was all treated to put the caecilians back in the main tank but to keep the newt on its own in that new tank.

I've now taken over caring for the newt (as my dad mostly took care of the original main tank) and I'd like to get something else in the tank. I like the setup I have but it feels a bit empty with just the newt in it. Don't get me wrong, I love the newt to pieces but I'd love to get some extra activity going on in the tank.

I know that this species can get very territorial with other of its species (hence I'm not suggesting newts/axolotls etc), but I'm hoping that considering it spent 6 years in a tank with so many other fish, it wouldn't mind being with other fish, especially if they tend to gravitate to the top of the tank as the newt mostly walks about at the bottom. It might be better if the fish are a bit on the bigger size just in case, since the newt feeds via suction and its mouth isn't that big.

The tanks sits at about 21.5°C, so any fish recommendations would be great! In an ideal world, I'd like to at the very least have a Pleco of some sort in there to keep the algae levels down a bit.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
I still wouldn't keep any newt with fish, as they have a tendency to produce a lot of waste and easily ruin water quality, and they would either stress or possible kill or injure the newt if they were too big to be eaten, or would be eaten themselves if they are too small. "Algae cleaner" fish generally aren't a good idea either, as they need warmer temps than most newts and usually grow large (Although there are some exceptions).

If algae is something you can't really put up with, I'd recommend giving this a read:

https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml

Also, I'd recommend reading this as well:

https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1