Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Looks like a yawn or a gag? A. maculatum

rhetoriccamel

Reaction score
I try not to disturb my salamander too much, but today I tried to feed him which I typically watch in order to make sure he eats the nightcrawler I feed him. Tonight is the first time I have feed him since Sunday (5 days ago). I dropped a nightcrawler in front of him, typically he watches it as it crawls away and then grabs it and eats it. I break them in half because they're quite big and figure a half a worm is easier to eat than a whole one. This time he's doing a sort of yawn/gag thing, his eyes close, his throat stops pulsating, and then his mouth opens briefly and then goes back to looking normal. He even grabbed the worm when it tried to crawl on him and flung it away from himself. I'm getting worried that something is wrong. I haven't taken him out of his habitat yet to give him a look because I'm not really sure what to look for.

His substrate is Zoomed Eco Earth coconut fiber and sphagnum moss. I also have leaves from outside in his tank, along with moss. He spends most of his time under a little cave I bought for him at petsmart. I think he feels safe and hidden in there. Only a few times has he gone out from there and ventured under the leaves or near his water bowl. I have also kept the sphagnum moss nice and moist. It's not soaked or puddled up, just wet. The temperatures throughout the day and night are 65-72 in his vivarium. I have had him since October 18th, and have been feeding mostly nightcrawlers with the very occasional pill bug.

rhetoriccamel

Reaction score
Was finally able to get a video of what I'm talking about. There seems to be a bit of a jerk/shake involved, too. Still can't get him to eat anything. This is day two of me noticing this, not sure how long it has been going on before I noticed it last night. Also included are two pictures I took while he was out of his vivarium while I cleaned it.

https://youtu.be/5GoC2J3S9CA

Attachments

• 20181103_163722.jpg
    20181103_163722.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 221
  • 20181103_163729.jpg
    20181103_163729.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 20181103_163744.jpg
    20181103_163744.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 171

rhetoriccamel

Reaction score
Just wanted to post an update that Apollo stopped doing this motion and finally ate half a worm on 11/10, first bit of worm in a few weeks. Happy he's finally eating and no longer doing this hack/gag thing. I still don't know what the cause of it was. Hoping it doesn't happen again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1