Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mealworm safe?

stokay

Reaction score
Hello,
I started to hear some stories about mealworms and i wanted to be sure if they are true or not! I have a fire salamander and from time to time i am feeding him with mealworm.
Some people says i need to smash the head because they may bite salamander from inside!!!
Does anyone have any information about this. I was trying to find some info about their digestion system about acid and possiblity of animal to live inside the stomach but no chance!

stokay

Reaction score
I checked and read about it! First of all nothing is clear. None of the person said any scientific proof! Second of all the newest was at least 2 years old post! I hope i can have some answer in certain.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Their mouths are not safe. The rest of them are.

It is best stated this way:
"The mealworm must be decapitated before feeding to an axie as it has strong mandibles capable of chewing through an axies internals." This was written by a moderator Jacquie in this thread.
As I said, a search of the forums on mealworms would have yielded this information several times. Here, and here and here and here, for starters.

However, they are not the best, nutritionally. Earthworms are the best.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!