Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just got an axie!

skelly98

Reaction score
Alright, so i got an axie. It was kind of a impulse buy, but i have plenty of knowledge and all the equipment already, so i set up a tank and got my axie.

Now, just one question...

can anyone recommend a filter? I know from before hand knowledge that a filter is not absolutely necessary, but i know i don't always have time to change the water (very busy lately with exams and such), but i also know that axies do not like a lot of flow.

The tank is a half-filled twenty gallon long, but i can fill it up all the way if the filter requires it. I would prefer a in-tank filter for both easiness and less noise, but i don't really know what to look for, other than low, spread-out flow.

it ate fine and is acting like a normal axie, so i'm not too worried. Just want to cut down on maintenance a little...

gwenlynn

Reaction score
A lot of people recommend sponge filters for their axie tanks. I haven't used one but they are highly recommended as they don't create a lot of flow. I personally use a tetra whisper and an aquaclear hob filter on my tanks only because I already had them. My axis do fine with those.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

hannahll

Reaction score
Axolotls are quite messy creatures and create a lot of waste. I would recommend you get a filter. In my 30 gallon axie tank, i have both a sponge filter and a hang on the back filter. My sponge filter is nice because it collects good bacteria and my axolotls like the bubbles. As far as hang on the back filters, I like the tetra whisper filters. The filter is simple, cheap, and it works. With a hang on the back filter, you may want to fill the tank 3/4 of the way.
Also, i hope you had your tank cycled before your impulse buy because your water parameters are going to be crazy for the next month or two. If that's the case, make sure you're testing the water regularly.

skelly98

Reaction score
I do have a fully cycled aquarium i can use for seeding, plus a test kit and detoxifiers if it needs it.

The aquarium just came out of being medicated for ulcers, however, so i am just going to use detoxifiers and lots of water changes for now, until the aquarium is done cycling.

(note: the detoxifiers just detoxify, not remove, so it will be useful: no toxic effects on the axie, as i have used it on fish and it works amazing, and food for the bacteria. I will be monitoring closely for the next couple of weeks, however, for signs of stress caused by the waste chemicals)

Quentari

Reaction score
Well I have a sponge filter in my 2ft (currently cycling) and in my 3ft I have a high powered fully submerged filter with a large rock in front to stop any flow. Seriously I think it was made for like one of those 6ft tanks or something the output is REALLY strong i actually had to upgrade the size of the rock i put in front of it :/ lol

rdoyle225

Reaction score
I love prime. It is the only thing I use for my fish aquarium.

skelly98

Reaction score
I love prime. It is the only thing I use for my fish aquarium.

Agreed. Best water conditioner ever.

On a side note, do axolotls like hides and decorations in their aquariums, or should i leave it bare? I was never able to find much information on this, so i'm a bit lost as for what to do.

auntiejude

Reaction score
do axolotls like hides and decorations in their aquariums, or should i leave it bare? I was never able to find much information on this, so i'm a bit lost as for what to do.
Axies love hides, plants, rocks, air bubbles, things stuck to the sides of tanks, chasing magnetic algae cleaners, moss balls - anything to crawl under or over, or behind!
I have 3 plastic plants, 2 fake 'root' hides, 4 moss balls, a slate propped up on a rock, a resin skull, and siliconed-down sand on the bottom.

10fenny

Reaction score
ok no ones gonna ask? alright i will. why no stand? just havnt gotten around to it?

skelly98

Reaction score
I have no stand because stands are expensive, and not really particularly useful except for viewing purposes, not to mention that we might be moving soon (i'm 14), and may not even have to keep the axie in that room eventually, anyways. The tank, however, is permanent, so if i did get a stand it would be for a twenty long. i used to keep some fish in there on a coffe table, but as the fish were short lived (although well taken care of by me and my family), the coffe table is now being used somwhere too hot for the axie during the summer. Either way, it will remain standless until either the summer is over or we move.

TL;DR we might be moving and every possible stand is already used in a place too hot, and a stand would just be more money i could be spending or saving on, say, pet supplies or pets (i', also have a small collection of snakes and lizards).

FX1C

Reaction score
:eek: worst camera work ever!
(It was like watch Blair Witch lol)
Pics are so much better ;)

Firstly I would add more water - the larger the body of water the easier to control & the toxins won't spike so easily.

Please make water changes a priority - it doesn't take much time & it's better than using detoxifiers unnecessary chemicals are best avoided! Even with exams etc it doesn't take much to maintain a tank... If it does you shouldn't have gotten the new pet!

As for filters internal filters will add heat to the water so the hang in hob style are very good & you can use a shower puff / rocks / plants to dissipate the outflow. You could add a sponge filter as well as they are good for oxygenating the water enough & removing large floaty particles.. Mine seem to like pooping on the sponge filters so they get quite filthy fast & I have to give them squeeze outs each week with water changes.

Has your lotl got a name yet? :)

<3 >o_o< <3

skelly98

Reaction score
:eek: worst camera work ever!
(It was like watch Blair Witch lol)
Pics are so much better ;)

Firstly I would add more water - the larger the body of water the easier to control & the toxins won't spike so easily.

Please make water changes a priority - it doesn't take much time & it's better than using detoxifiers unnecessary chemicals are best avoided! Even with exams etc it doesn't take much to maintain a tank... If it does you shouldn't have gotten the new pet!

As for filters internal filters will add heat to the water so the hang in hob style are very good & you can use a shower puff / rocks / plants to dissipate the outflow. You could add a sponge filter as well as they are good for oxygenating the water enough & removing large floaty particles.. Mine seem to like pooping on the sponge filters so they get quite filthy fast & I have to give them squeeze outs each week with water changes.

I'd also take some pics now, but he's hiding, and i don't want to disturb him... maybe if he comes out i will, though.

Has your lotl got a name yet? :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Yep, his name is king! and i do know i probably could have waited a little longer, but with murphy's law and supply and demand, i probably would have been waiting a few months, axies are hard to find around here... Will add more water now. As for the detox, i am not using it as a replacement for water changes, but as a tool to make cycling a easier on the lotl. i will still be monitoring for water chemistry changes and for signs of ammonia/nitirite/nitrate poisoning, but the detox will make cycling a lot easier on the little guy.

skelly98

Reaction score
Yep, his name is king! and i do know i probably could have waited a little longer, but with murphy's law and supply and demand, i probably would have been waiting a few months, axies are hard to find around here... Will add more water now. As for the detox, i am not using it as a replacement for water changes, but as a tool to make cycling a easier on the lotl. i will still be monitoring for water chemistry changes and for signs of ammonia/nitirite/nitrate poisoning, but the detox will make cycling a lot easier on the little guy.
I'm trying to attatch pics, hopefully it will work.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 313
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 312
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 282

10fenny

Reaction score
well i think ive bought one stand in my life. but it was part of a tank stand combo. my ten gal sits on an old school wood radio from what looks like the 40's. 4 ft high with the big tubes in the back. i dont know if you guys have a craigs list up there, but free is always a good price. a semi sturdy dresser would hold a 20 long. i just couldnt stand bein on my knees all the time to do work on it. plus ide prolly end up dropping my cell phone or wrench in it. (full time mechanic)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1