Abbot and Costello newts

mmfh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. Just feeding my T. Yangi tonight and I noticed that one looks like she has swallowed two marbles and the other one looks on the thin side. I tried to take pics to show the difference. I'm thinking of separating them so I can get a stool sample from the thin one. I'm not real familiar with newt health but they both get fed the same amount at the same time/day. Is it. Possible to treat newts for parasites? From the pictures does anyone think my concerns are necessary ? Thank you. Took some pictures, enjoy.

The two of them side by side
1389833752.jpg

A picture of the skinny one (even her spots seem smaller)
1389833779.jpg

A picture of the fat one
1389833797.jpg

Are you sure both of them are feeding? It could be the larger one just compete out the litter poor guy and eat all the food in the tank.

I agree. I would suggest keeping them separate so that the thin one has a better chance of getting food. Even if there is enough food, a thinner one will sometimes feel "inhibited" in the presence of a more dominant individual.

I know they are both eating the same amount because I tong feed them. They each get 1/3 a nightcrawler every other day. I have tried to feed them more but they refuse and just walk away. I don't free feed at all so the larger one does not have the opportunity to eat anymore food then the skinny one. Also, I bought them together from the same enclosure, that is why they are in quarantine together. Until this month they were more or less a similar size. Just since January has the one become so plump and I wondered if something was going wrong. Thank you.

Ah, hand feeding is good. If you offer food every day, do they take it? If so, feed daily. If the fat one wants to eat more, go ahead and feed it more. As long as both are getting what they will take, that's the best you can do. I've learned not to "hold back" on feeding fatter animals just because their tankmates are eating less.

It is certainly possible to treat for parasites. It requires a vet. There are several websites that let you search for reptile vets by location, see this page, near the bottom:
Caudata Culture - Frequently Asked Questions

You can collect a specimen for parasite testing by keeping the newt overnight on paper towels. Be sure to tell the vet you are feeding them live nightcrawlers, which normally contain (harmless) nematodes, which will show up in the stool sample.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back