Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Axolotls health emergency.

ToniCon96

Reaction score
I had 2 golden ablbino axolotls. They were healthy established adults. My father thought it would be a good idea to put our giant leopard plec into the axy tank to help clean it up a bit. (Massive fail, I know. I told him not to and now my female has died.) I believe it sucked off their slime coat. I'm desperately trying to save my male. He isn't in good shape, so he is in the fridge for the time being. He has a slight issue floating so I've lowered the water level in his fridge tub. His water parameters are all ideal. But now he is not eating (5 days) and is quite thin. While trying to repair a damaged slime coat. I'm so worried and just want to do the best I can to help him recover. He is fed on mainly earthworms/night crawlers. How do I encourage him to eat? Will he eat when fridged? Also I've read about salt baths but have no idea if it would even help him and I wouldn't like to try without 'more expert' information. I do not want to further hurt him. Thank you for your time! Please help me save him.

Caesar

Reaction score
I had 2 golden ablbino axolotls. They were healthy established adults. My father thought it would be a good idea to put our giant leopard plec into the axy tank to help clean it up a bit. (Massive fail, I know. I told him not to and now my female has died.) I believe it sucked off their slime coat. I'm desperately trying to save my male. He isn't in good shape, so he is in the fridge for the time being. He has a slight issue floating so I've lowered the water level in his fridge tub. His water parameters are all ideal. But now he is not eating (5 days) and is quite thin. While trying to repair a damaged slime coat. I'm so worried and just want to do the best I can to help him recover. He is fed on mainly earthworms/night crawlers. How do I encourage him to eat? Will he eat when fridged? Also I've read about salt baths but have no idea if it would even help him and I wouldn't like to try without 'more expert' information. I do not want to further hurt him. Thank you for your time! Please help me save him.

I think the salt baths are more harsh on the slime coat. A tea bath might be a better solution though. And no, axolotls will not eat while being fridged.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1