Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl not eating and gills turning grey?

naterpie

Reaction score
Hi all! First time posting on the forum hoping to get some advice about my little girl! :(

I've had my axolotl for over 1 year (adopted by me at 2 years old; she is now 3) and in the past 1-2 weeks I've had trouble feeding her. The most she's eaten in the past week has been 2 pellets at the most and is just generally disinterested in food, even when I dangle it with forceps in front of her face. I even tried cutting up some raw salmon tonight to try and tempt her and she just ignored it!

On top of that, (I'm not sure how much gill colour matters) I noticed today the rami part of her gills (not the fimbriae) have gone from their normal albino golden colour to a greyish colour.

Water parameters seem fine and I haven't had any changes to the filtering system so the water flow shouldn't be the problem.

However, it has just turned into Spring here in Australia and I suspect the warmer temperature might be playing a role -- BUT I just feel a little unsure since last spring/summer she was completely fine in her eating patterns/general health.

Any advice on what might be the issue? Any tips on getting her to eat? TIA!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!