Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sterilite Salamander Rack (Tiger & Spotted)

ChristianV

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have just picked these two guys up at my local animal expo and I have setup this rack system with the idea coming from leopard geckos. (Yes there is ventilation on the sides). Both racks have coconut fiber as substrate. There are two hides and a water dish in each tub. Please leave any suggestions that could help me!

6RnEBB6

The fist tub holds my Juvenile Tiger

attachment.php

attachment.php

The second holds a juvenile spotted who is hiding in the substrate

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 1,175

CocoaAndTea

Reaction score
Really cute! You went to the pet expo that happened over this weekend? Almost went since I live so close but I was busy. I thought selling tiger salamanders were illegal in illinois because they are a native species. Is that moss? I would be cautious if it is, acidic moss as well as peat/sphangum can be deadly.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

manderkeeper

Reaction score
Plastic boxes are fine for salamanders. In holding actual water, I find they develop a slime that can be removed by physical contact with a paper towel and rinsing. I keep all my terrestrial salamanders in plastic boxes stacked using Home Depot plastic shelving.

ChristianV

Reaction score
Really cute! You went to the pet expo that happened over this weekend? Almost went since I live so close but I was busy. I thought selling tiger salamanders were illegal in illinois because they are a native species. Is that moss? I would be cautious if it is, acidic moss as well as peat/sphangum can be deadly.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

I removed the moss just got n case and yes I did go to that show. Uploading pictures on here is a bit weird so it just showed the same pic for all of them but I will fix it eventually.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!