I made it! (Neurergus kaiseri eggs)

The habitat is fine, it's illegal collection for the pet trade that will cause the extinction of kaiseri. Climate change might affect them 50 years on.

The habitat is in that good of shape? No significant human-related habitat impacts, such as impacts to upland habitats or water quality or water availability in breeding areas? Short of global warming or widespread disease (e.g., chytrid in various frogs), destruction to or degradation of habitat is usually the greatest promoter of amphibian decline. The collection of the remaining animals tends to be the salt in the wound.

When that happens it will make trade between hobbyists impossible, and in the US it will also mean that trade between individual states is against the law. So the people who are breeding these newts will likely have no where to send their offspring some time in the future. .

Im am sure that if there is a will there is a way for people to still sell and get a hold of them. I wouldnt sad too much.

While I do not work with this species, I think it is great that people are working with them. It's more than likely a multi-tiered issue why they are disappearing. As mentioned, habitat degradation and the pet trade have taken their toll. Viral illnesses that we are just beginning to understand in addition to issues such as Chytrid fungus may play a role as well.

http://www.iran-daily.com/1387/3353/html/iranica.htm

Not sure if anyone read this..

As far as reintroductions are concerned, it is hard enough for these programs to be introduced into the US let alone Iran. The US has no jurisdiction there and as relations between the two countries become increasingly intense, I would doubt that we would ever have a hand in such a reintroduction.

Turtle hobbyists (more like PhDs and DVMs) and conservation groups have helped establish reintroductions in countries such as India however, so it's not to say it will never happen. The hobbyists however will likely not be involved however. Why? There are many concerns over issues stated before that many hobbyists are either unaware of or do not have control of. An example would be biosecurity measures between species.

However, this post leads me back to my original question.

I was under the impression that CITES only involved the import or export of a species. Not the interstate transport of them. I thought that interstate transport was only affected by a federal USFWS threatened or endangered status or maybe the Lacy Act.

Can anyone please shed light on this issue with references please?

The Lacy Act re-enforces CITES to apply to interstate transport in the US.

In the case of axolotls, I believe there is no enforcement in the US of the laws, since the CB axolotls here are not true (genetically speaking) axolotls. However this is merely conjecture on my part.

The habitat is in that good of shape? No significant human-related habitat impacts, such as impacts to upland habitats or water quality or water availability in breeding areas? Short of global warming or widespread disease (e.g., chytrid in various frogs), destruction to or degradation of habitat is usually the greatest promoter of amphibian decline. The collection of the remaining animals tends to be the salt in the wound.

Correct. There's a recent downstream dam that has put the presence of cyprinid fish a bit closer in one intermittent stream, but it remains to be seen if that will have an impact. Otherwise, there is virtually no population there...so no significant current threats to upland habitat, etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back