The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 21st July 2011   #1
suztor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 5
Rep: suztor has shown reliable knowledgesuztor has shown reliable knowledge

I'm building my new tank and am considering building in a feeding dish rock. Basically a rock with it carved like a basin to put food in during feeding time.

This will be for chinese fbn. Will it cause any food aggression or will it increase the chance of having injured newts? any suggestions for the best way to do this would be great, i don't plan on hand feeding them while in my big tank, i'm already working on making sure they eat well on their own.

Last edited by Jacquie; 22nd July 2011 at 05:06. Reason: Fixed and merged duplicate posts.
suztor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011   #2
Eva
(evut)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Is this a bad idea?

I have a dish in my C. pyrrhogaster tank so that they don't have to hoover all bloodworms from a sandy bottom. The problem is that they throw lots of the food out once they smell it and get excited but then they clean around the dish anyway. There is no real aggression - it seems to be just random biting into anything that moves before they settle down to eat. I've never seen any injuries. I think C. orientalis isn't any more aggressive as species so it should be fine. A lot of people seem to have a dish of some sort.

evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011   #3
Austin
(DeCypher)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DeCypher has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Is this a bad idea?

I have dishes for my N. Viridescens and my Axolotls. They have never caused any aggression. They are very handy for cleanup.

DeCypher is offline   Reply With Quote