Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton verrucosus variants

J

jesper

Hehe, too fat for terrestrial lifa. You just solved the Industrial worlds biggest problem mate!
smile.gif

Yeah the dark ones with triangular heads usually are stockier.

ntny

Reaction score
hi terry,

just to confirm with you that the Tylototritons you have in malaysia are Tylototriton verrucosus?
or T.shanjing?

i saw some "light forms" colorations in singapore but not sure what they really are T.verrucosus
or T.shanjing?

i don't think T.shanjing can survive in our temperature in SE Asia.

Thanks alot

As far as I can tell you Wouter,

The large light form is the most common found in some petshops in Malaysia. Heck I've even seen them being sold in side street pet shops in the morning market. Not really the most professional way of selling T. v.

Ben Krysa

Reaction score
Hmmmm.. Could it be possible that the lighter variety (the second photo) is really T.shanjing. T.Shanjing and T.Verrucosus were once classified as just T.Verrucosus. Some pet dealers may not know of the distinction. The animals were most likely caught during the breeding season. A time of year when T.shanjing mate and lay eggs in and near the water only to return to a terrestrial life again afterwards. Animals collected in water could easily be the victims of mistaken identity.
As for the newt in the first picture, I would assume the flat tail suggest a permanent or prolonged aquatic lifestyle.
And the third newt could very well be T.Shanjing as well. It may even be from the same population as the second newt.

I purchased a pair of T.Shanjing in a tiny little town. It was the only time I have ever seen any Tylototritons for sale. I'm unsure of their origin but due to the small number of newts available, I would guess they were wild caught and most likely from one source. However their coloration and looks vary just enough to make them both unique. I will post pictures of them together.
Quite an interesting topic. It really gets me thinking.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1