Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T.kweichowensis Build Advice Needed Please

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
I believe this also goes for T.kweichowensis. I would be interested in seeing some pics of your animals.

I haven't bred the T.cf.kweichowenis, but I really hope that I will succeed in having some offspring this year. The brown colouration makes the water look more natural and has no effect on the measured water conditions, except for the fact that the PH is a little lower. At this moment they're staying on the flagstones near the water, but a couple of weeks earlier they swam a lot more. Don't know what consequences this will have.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...chinotriton/82618-theres-something-going.html

Hmmm I see, well i shall take some photos of him on his own as normally I will go to take a photo of him but the female comes along and gets in the way. But here are two photos, one of them together and one of her.

tylototritonguy-albums-my-amphibians-picture21320-t-kweichowensis-together-copyrighted.jpg

tylototritonguy-albums-my-amphibians-picture21319-t-kweichowensis-female-copyrighted.jpg

Niels D

Reaction score
They look a lot like my animals. This could be T.cf.kweichowensis if you ask me, but I must say that I'm certainly no expert. Most T.kweichowensis I've seen have more orange colours on their backs.

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
They look a lot like my animals. This could be T.cf.kweichowensis if you ask me, but I must say that I'm certainly no expert. Most T.kweichowensis I've seen have more orange colours on their backs.

Well i have been looking into it a lot lately and I have came across one or two articles that basically state these are possibly new species of Tylototriton now being unofficially named as T.liangshanensis (Liangshan Crocodile Salamanders).
Also I have always wanted to know, What does the 'CF' mean in the T.cf.kweichowensis?

Last edited by a moderator:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The "cf" abreviation means "confer" and in scientific nomenclature it denotes that the animal most closely resembles a particular species. It´s essentially an aproximation. It says that it looks most closely to "x" species but it doesn´t fully fit the description.
In the hobby, your animals would be classified as Tylototriton cf.kweichowensis.

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
The "cf" abreviation means "confer" and in scientific nomenclature it denotes that the animal most closely resembles a particular species. It´s essentially an aproximation. It says that it looks most closely to "x" species but it doesn´t fully fit the description.
In the hobby, your animals would be classified as Tylototriton cf.kweichowensis.

ahhh I see, thank you for telling me that :) but why hasn't any Taxonomist/Researcher looked into this new possible species? Surely there is scientific worth in it so they would be able to give it a Binomen so in the pet trade it wont be confused as a T.kweichowensis?

Niels D

Reaction score
Are there more people who agree that these are T.cf.kweichowensis? If so, that I would really suggest a 50/50 tank, because this specie uses both areas!

Is there somebody who can confirm the name, or tell more about "T.liangshanensis"?

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Are there more people who agree that these are T.cf.kweichowensis? If so, that I would really suggest a 50/50 tank, because this specie uses both areas!

Is there somebody who can confirm the name, or tell more about "T.liangshanensis"?

They are the T.cf.kweichowensis you and everyone else talk about but T.liangshanensis is a unofficial name for them I believe. The person who made the thread I think is called FrogEyes here is his thread and study about Liangshan Crocodile Salamanders.

I'm still confused as to why these possible new species haven't been looked into or even posses a Binomial Nomenclature yet, It's just mind boggling surely there are Taxonomists or Researchers out there that would jump at the chance of being able to name a new species? :S

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Describing new species takes time. There's research, collection, writing up the article in a fashion that convinces everyone else it really is a new species, and not just locality differences. Then comes peer review of the article, and finally publication.

Then you've got to get herpers to recognize and use the new name, etc. It's a long, drawn-out process.

Naming is usually reserved for the person who first found/described the species. But it's considered bad form to name it after yourself. Most people name them after a unique identifying mark (Like Storeria occipitomaculata, referring to the small white spots on the back of the neck [which is a dumb name for a red-belly snake, if you ask me]), or they name it after someone famous, like the hundreds of species named after David Attenborough.

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Describing new species takes time. There's research, collection, writing up the article in a fashion that convinces everyone else it really is a new species, and not just locality differences. Then comes peer review of the article, and finally publication.

Then you've got to get herpers to recognize and use the new name, etc. It's a long, drawn-out process.

Naming is usually reserved for the person who first found/described the species. But it's considered bad form to name it after yourself. Most people name them after a unique identifying mark (Like Storeria occipitomaculata, referring to the small white spots on the back of the neck [which is a dumb name for a red-belly snake, if you ask me]), or they name it after someone famous, like the hundreds of species named after David Attenborough.

Well that's all fair and everything, however it appears that not a lot of research has gone into these animals soon enough really. These PNS's are getting sold into the Pet Trade as T.kweichowensis but they aren't, surely people that aren't on forums and don't check forums that would buy these individuals wouldn't be none the wiser with what they could be. They could go and buy other actual T.kweichowensis and breed them with the T.cf.kweichowensis and make hybrids being none the wiser.

I am not arguing or anything so I hope you dont miss understand my comment because i agree with all of what you say, I know the process of it but surely, for the sake of conservation of a endangered species and possibly a second new endangered species is important enough to try and name and discover this species sooner rather than later before these new little Hybrids are sold to people all over the place?

This is the reason I asked why it hasn't been looked into sooner. I mean, if I hadn't of spoken to a friend who looked into the PNS's I wouldn't of known any different until i had another pair of T.kweichowensis and even then i might of just thought my original two were just WC variants.

frogman

Reaction score
Here is what i keep mine in. It works fine. I am considering changes though.

Attachments

• CIMG7064.jpg
    CIMG7064.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 479

Motylica

Reaction score
Sorry, here's photo of my adult male T.kweichowensis and his aquaterrarium:

Attachments

• 72859769.jpg
    72859769.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 369
  • 25026100xe.jpg
    25026100xe.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 373
  • p1070751m.jpg
    p1070751m.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 726

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Sorry, here's photo of my adult male T.kweichowensis and his aquaterrarium:

Gorgeous specimen mate! :) and thats actually the type of set up im looking to make! :O exactly the same layout apart from im going to put a waterfall in it lol
Whats the background made out of mate?

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Just as a general observation of my kweichow, I've found she spends more than 95% of her time on land. Only occasionally will I find her taking a dip in the water, usually in the early mornings, and always on her slanted "log" and not fully submerged.

Motylica

Reaction score
Yes, I confirm it, male sits in the water, especially during the mating season, but it is not often.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1