Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What's up with the new imports of tylototriton lizhenchangi??

velasco13000

Reaction score
Was looking on kingsnake and they have some new species I have never seen being offered? Any thoughts or opinions?

manderkeeper

Reaction score
Not sure but I think that guy is a pretty good vendor, if it's the guy who uses rockabirdie or something like that he has a pretty good rep with reptiles he sales.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
This is one of a bunch of recently described species. It was previously imported as T.asperrimus or T.wenxianensis. It only became "rare" [as advertised] when all the single-locality imports gained their own name. [ie, they were imported from one locality before, using the name of a species thought to have a large range. Now the essentially identical imports have a higher price and 'rare' label because the name changed].

velasco13000

Reaction score
Ahhhh I see. I was trying to find information on them but I couldn't find any. I probably won't be getting any but just out of curiosity how are these kept? More aquatic or terrestrial? Any useful information?

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Terrestrial and are very reclusive ,They don't move much infact are almost like keeping pet rocks, and seeing as they are WC they will be weak and sick. Is there not any CB Tylos across the pond?,did Jennewt not breed loads of Kweichowensis?

otolith

Reaction score
CB tylos have been pretty few and far between the past few years in the US. Shianjing and Verrucosus were previously available fairly regularly, not sure if very many people are working them any more.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
CB tylos have been pretty few and far between the past few years in the US. Shianjing and Verrucosus were previously available fairly regularly, not sure if very many people are working them any more.

It just goes to show how a captive bred line of newts can be reliant on on one or two people that keep them. Its easy to forget how small our hobby is when compared with keeping other herps. Many small scale breeders only sell off animals that are a by product of their hobby for little or no profit unlike snakes, lizards and frogs that are produced in commercial quantity's each year

velasco13000

Reaction score
I am pretty sure Jen did breed tons of kwenchionensis...I bought a few off her. It was more for the curiosity of knowing more about them that got me interested honestly. I probably don't have enough room. And as to what perry was saying, there doesn't seem to be many tylototriton species being offered. Here and there some vurrecuses from Dawn. I myself have a group of 5 individuals that are older than 2 years but haven't even tried breeding them . Anybody else in the U.S. Working with any?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am hoping my verrucosus will lay this year. Elektra died two years ago and left me one last big batch of eggs. I am raising the ones I have left from that batch as new breeding stock and I won't sell any more of them until they breed. They will be two years old in July. I still have Eddie and last year he laid eggs with one of his daughters, but I made a big error and the water fouled and they all died. However, I am hopeful that I might have morphs available in October, as I have in past years when they've bred.

I don't know anyone besides myself who has bred them and made them available for the last five years or so.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!