Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton lifespan

schmiggle

Reaction score
Does anybody have personal experience with the captive lifespan of species in the genus? I've seen estimates ranging from 12 to 20 years.

dutch guy

Reaction score
I think it depend's on how you keep them and specie, do they hibernate or not, do you keep them dry and cool at winter, some have more attention and care needed then others.
We have Tilototriton shanjing and they need a totaly different setup.

Tylototriton shanjing 4,5,42

dutch guy

Reaction score
You can best try to find your answers on: caudata culture caresheets .

JM29

Reaction score
I think it depend's on how you keep them and specie

Yes, probably.
Unfortunately, the systematics within the genus Tylototriton have moved a lot for the last 2 years. A species like T. verrucosus has been splitted in a lot of species with different geographic range and with probably different needs.
Another current problem : a black terrestrial species, T. lizhenchangi, has been imported in Europe (and USA?) with the wrong name T. asperrimus.

The expected consequences of all of this is :
- if we don't know exactly where our animals originate from, it will be difficult to give them the appropriate conditions for the longest lifespan.
- in case of exchanges, trading,... animals of different species may be put together with difficult or no breeding.

Additionally, WC animals may not live long because of various stress sources, F1 may live longer, F2, F3 and so on... may in turn have shorter lifespan, due to inbreeding depression. But that's another debate.

Sincerely,

dutch guy

Reaction score
Yes, probably.
Unfortunately, the systematics within the genus Tylototriton have moved a lot for the last 2 years. A species like T. verrucosus has been splitted in a lot of species with different geographic range and with probably different needs.
Another current problem : a black terrestrial species, T. lizhenchangi, has been imported in Europe (and USA?) with the wrong name T. asperrimus.

The expected consequences of all of this is :
- if we don't know exactly where our animals originate from, it will be difficult to give them the appropriate conditions for the longest lifespan.
- in case of exchanges, trading,... animals of different species may be put together with difficult or no breeding.

Additionally, WC animals may not live long because of various stress sources, F1 may live longer, F2, F3 and so on... may in turn have shorter lifespan, due to inbreeding depression. But that's another debate.

Sincerely,
I agree with you, in case of our shanjin's, i know where the WC came from.
But with the F3 you see that they are a lot smaller and weaker then the F2.

JM29

Reaction score
Anyway, Herman, reaching F3 is already a good result.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!