Question: Looking in to getting shrimp for my axolotl

Tjebb

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking in to getting little shrimp to live, and get eaten, by my axolotl. Would I have to feed the shrimp? Or would they just live off of the plants in the tank. Anyone with experience, please let me know!

I know that some people have had shrimp to survive in their axolotl tanks.

Not much, though. Not enough to fully feed an axolotl.

Shrimp that survive in an axolotl tank typically do so by hiding out and being lucky. These shrimps don't need to be fed. The food you give your axolotl is enough nutrients to feed the shrimp.
But only a few shrimp can be lucky enough not to get eaten - barely enough to sustain a population. Certainly not enough to be more than a tiny snack every now and then.

If you want to have a population that is big enough to actually matter in terms of nutrition, the population would be too big to hide and be lucky - most of them would get eaten, and you'd need a massive population of shrimp to outbreed an axolotls appetite.

Doesn't mean it can't be done, but realise that you would have a shrimp tank with an axolotl, not an axolotl tank with shrimp. I think you'd need to start out with a couple of hundred shrimp (depending on their size a little less) - and you would need to feed these. After all, you're indirectly feeding your axolotl through them.

I think your best bet would be a separate tank for shrimp, and every time the population in that tank becomes unsustainable, you drop some of them in with your axolotl for a fun little snack. Maybe some survive by hiding in the plants - but that's an added bonus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back