Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

algae?

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
where have you sited your tank? if it is in direct sunlight, that can make algae grow rapidly. also if you have your tank lights on all day, that will make the algae bloom. turning off your lights is a simple way to stunt algae growth without harming your axies.
some pet shops also sell algae 'removers' or something like that that is supposed to get rid of the algae. however take it with caution. read the label as it may contain harmful chemicals.

gbhil

Reaction score
1. Out compete the algae for nutrients in the water with many other plants.
or
2. Decrease the amount of light.
or
3. Decrease the amount of nutrients.

I always like number one, as I'm a plantgeek.
Number two is pretty self explanatory, decrease the amount of light by time OR intensity.
Number three is probably the best solution, but also involves the most work. Keep nitrates, phosphorous, potassium, and micronutrients in check with frequent small water changes. Careful that the water your using doesn't have a high level of nitrates or phosphates (check with your water company) or you could be making it worse instead of better.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fighting algae is not like fighting weeds: with weeds, you want to eradicate every last one. With algae, it's beneficial to ALLOW some algae to grow in places where it doesn't look too bad. The algae left there will eat up the nutrients, thus discouraging algae growth in other places. See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml

sharelkaye

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. The light it was on the big problems because i forget to turn it off everyonce in a while. Also my tank is due for a water change anyway. plus i need to check my filter thanks again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!