Turquoise algae?

TSN

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I recently noticed some dark turquoise coloured stuff that seems like algae in my FBN tank..
I've since cleaned tank normally and picked up all algae covered leaves and rocks.

Should I be worried about that strange colour algae? I usually have quite alot of red/brown algae in my tank, but havent seen dark turquoise coloured before..

Interesting. Photo?

I know chemical/mineral composition can effect the colour/growth patterns of algae, could there be something unusual in your water?
Theres a lake near a town I used to live in that was used to dump slag and refuse from tin refining in the area(years and years ago). The algae was a really strong dark blue. They also produced alot of blue glass in the area, I always figured the waste was rich in Cobalt and it turned the algae blue.

It could be blue-green algae or cyanobacteria

I cant take photo now since i took all of it out from there.. And there shouldnt be anything special about water.

But do you think there is anything I should be worried more than about usual algae?

Newts seem to be same as before.. Another one did spend part of a day on cork, but he has done that before too and that algae appeared there few days ago and it hasnt bothered them in any way..

EDIT: And if I didnt know better I would think that it was somekind paint.. it just smoothly covers some leafs around tank like a drop of paint would, so its not like fluffy, feathery algae.

There's a photo of blue-green algae (which is actually more closely related to bacteria than algae) on this page:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml
It's not harmful, just annoying. If you get a lot of it, it tends to have a weird smell that you might notice.

When you say you "cleaned the tank normally", what does this mean?

There's a photo of blue-green algae (which is actually more closely related to bacteria than algae) on this page:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml
It's not harmful, just annoying. If you get a lot of it, it tends to have a weird smell that you might notice.

When you say you "cleaned the tank normally", what does this mean?

I'm not sure that is it thatkind as in picture.. Like I said, it doesnt really have anykind threads, it just clings to plant leafs like paint.

By normal cleaning I mean changed 2/3's of water, scrubbed algae from glass and doing some general plant/decoration maintenance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back