Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What type is he?

Riene Noir

Reaction score
G'day,

I have an 8" Axolotl. He is completely black with a lighter black underbelly and no other markings or spots. He also has completely black eyes with no other colour ring around them. I was wondering what he is? I have been reading about the Albinos and Whites and Wild Types, however I'm still not too sure. I've read the Genetics page on the website and am guessing he is probably a melanoid, however as I am really new to this any help would be much appreciated.

Here is a really poor picture of him but I'm hoping its enough. :confused:

Cheers and Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 08052009(034).jpg
    08052009(034).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 192

Riene Noir

Reaction score
Thank-you coichards! He are a couple much better photos of him! Does that mean that even if his underbelly is a lighter shade (and I know black isn't a shade - but for this purpose it is!:p) does that still class him as Melanoid? Is it only when there are other coloured spots and markings (as opposed to shades) that he would become a wild type and so on? :confused:

Cheers!

Attachments

• Noir.jpg
    Noir.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Noir - Leap of Faith.jpg
    Noir - Leap of Faith.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 165

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Melanoids lack iridophores (and most xanthophores as well). If he had iridophores, he'd be a wildtype. It's a totally different color morph, rather than a 'shade'. That would be the difference between a dark brown wildtype and a light tan wildtype. They're still wildtypes, just different shades.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!