Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What type of salamander is this?

oregon newt

Reaction score
Re: What tipe of salamander is this?

Well, the first one actually looks like some type of skink.:rolleyes: I'm not sure about the second one, but I believe it might be some Plethodontid.:confused:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m not so sure..the first pic does look like a reptile. The hind legs have very long and oddly articulated fingers just like lizards.

oregon newt

Reaction score
The reason I thought the first one was not a salamander was because of its long toes, which I thought were only found on Ambystomids-and that did not look like an Ambystomid to me. :confused:

eriku

Reaction score
Since it's in California, I would venture to guess a slender salamander. Which kind, I'm not sure, they have splintered into a bazillion different types.

spendday

Reaction score
if I had to guess I would say the first one is a skink of the plestiodon genus (formerly genus eumeces) as they are often referred to as salamanders is that part of the world (I don't know why) maybe a juvenile plestiodon skiltonianus from the head shape and slight hint of blue in the tail and the fact its in California but it could easily be a juvenile or even an adult of any number of species from that genus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!