Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone With Filtration Concerns...

pimpmastersmak

Reaction score
I was just wanting anyone with dirty water to not waste time with internal filters. Eheim makes great canister filters in multiple models from 100 dollars up to 600 dollars. In other words even if you have a big tank they got you covered with flying colors. I haven't had any water issues since buying mine and if I would have just spent the 110 dollars to begin with I would have saved money and effort. Easy to clean and causes little to no water currant. And to save even more money you can buy the carbon (the only part you really have to replace) in squares and cut it yourself. :kill: Let me know what you think, I think you'll like.

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
Re: Anyone With Filtration Conserns...

I googled them and I just dont understand what they do, how they do it, and where do they hook up/go in your tank?

I have a sponge filter because I am a noobie. Those things look complicated, as well as being expensive.

Tiffanymac

Reaction score
I also have a sponge filter in with my Ruby and it's the only filter that keeps her water crystal clear! :)

I also tried a canister filter and it didn't get the water clear...maybe I didn't hook it up properly, but I'm pretty handy, so I'm not sure what the problem was...

Chirple

Reaction score
My $10 sponge filter and $10 pump have been keeping the water in my planted tank crystal clear for months now. :)

carsona246

Reaction score
and in all honesty, they only important thing about your water is that the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are appropriate. You can have the clearest water in the world, and still have terrible parameters. Not that I don't enjoy using canister filters, it's just not necessary to maintain an aquarium

michel3171

Reaction score
and in all honesty, they only important thing about your water is that the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are appropriate. You can have the clearest water in the world, and still have terrible parameters. Not that I don't enjoy using canister filters, it's just not necessary to maintain an aquarium

Carson is right, I have seen a goldfish tank, the water was TOTALLY green, but the GOLDFISH like it. People said that this was animal abuse, but they did not do research. Goldfish like water with algea, if the levels of nitrate, PH etc. are good, everything is fine! :D

pimpmastersmak

Reaction score
I am glad that you guys have had good luck thus far. I just wanted people to know that these filters are quite nice. I had many problems with the internal filters clogging in no time, the foam pad moved the water around even more plus raised the temp. of the water a few degrees. If what you are doing is working then no need to change what you are doing, I mainly wanted people that were having water issues to know that they have that option, worked great for me. Plus I would have saved a few hundred in the long run. And having more filtration than you need isn't a bad thing. Usually you want your tank water filtered at least 3 times an hour.

tusken raider

Reaction score
^^ i just got an eheim for my tank too, GREAT external filter, easy to set up and as really improved the clarity of my water. The problem i had would be modifying the spray bar to further reduce water movement but that's not even a real problem. I'll be adding a small sponge filter in too hopefully my axie doesn't get scared of it like my fish do.

Colinna

Reaction score
Yep, I just got a 2215 for my tank. The canister sits under the tank on the stand and the pipes come up over the back of the tank. Inlet one end, outlet the other. The eheims come with sponges already inserted, I removed a couple to add some bio media. Works a treat!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!