Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What is wrong with my axolotl?

Wondernapoleon

Reaction score
I have recently noticed something not quite right with my axolotl, Napoleon. I was just wondering what it could be and if it's easily fixed or just nothing to make a massive fuss over.

I have had Napoleon since the middle of May last year, and I am not too sure how old he/she is but I'm fairly certain he/she is sexually mature.
I moved Napoleon into a 90L tank around Christmas time just passed and he was in a 45 litre before.

It looks as If his skin or slime coat is peeling off and I am slightly worried about him. I am wondering if it is his log hide scraping his sides or is it something in the water? His tank is due a good clean and I just want to know if it is anything to get worried about. I adore my axolotl so I hope it's nothing bad.

Also his gill filaments on his right side are almost none existent but his left side is full, it has been like this since I got him, will they ever even out?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 349

HayleyK

Reaction score
It doesn't look too bad. Axolotls are good healers given they have good water. With saying that what are your parameters and temp? How often and how much do you change your water (the way you worded it has me a little concerned).

In the meantime you can use Indian almond leaves in the tank as that will help his coat.

With the filaments - you have had him for a while and if they haven't grown back there's the slimmest chance it will. My girl has the same thing. Although water quality definitely affects them.

Wondernapoleon

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply,
What I meant by "his tank needs a good clean" is that he hasn't been cleaned out fully in about a month as I have been really busy with college work coming to the end of the year.

To be honest I don't know what the water parameters are because I do not have 30 pounds to spend on a kit to test it. The temperature is normally 17-19 today it's a bit on the warmer side about 21 due to recent warm weather.
I try to keep his tank out of the sun as much as possible though.

I am cleaning his tank as we speak though as I am assuming now that it is indeed his water causing the problem, I do about a 20 percent water change when I am at my dads so once every two weeks as my dad will not do that for me (has no clue) I am aware that this isn't enough but it's better than nothing.

I am a complete amateur when it comes to axolotl sickness. He is eating fine and is very active during the night, he is using his gills more often now instead of going up for air which is something I've noticed.
About the tea leaves do I just put those in with him or do I have to do something to them first?
Thank you very much.

Kaini

Reaction score
You really should invest in a test kit - I understand being a broke university student (am one myself), but Axolotls are very sensitive to water quality and it is an important aspect of keeping them.

20% changes every two weeks are not enough, especially if the tank isn't cycled and you have no way of knowing since you don't test the water :c

If you're going to do changes that infrequently, you need to be doing more than 20%. More like 80-90%.

HayleyK

Reaction score
With the leaves you can just float them straight into the tank. The water will turn yellow brown but that's okay - it's all the good stuff.

Testing kits are essential. If you plan on buying a pet you can't skip and miss all the basics that are too expensive. Test kits seriously last forever. I've had mine for months and test my water regularly. The only other option is to go to a LFS and take some water to test and hope they do it for free or a small price.

Sweetie

Reaction score
I cannot agree strongly enough with the comments about getting a Freshwater Master Test Kit. Without one, it is impossible to know whether your lotl is in a healthy environment or whether you are dangerously stressing it out. It really is a remarkably small investment given how important it is to the well-being of your lotl, and it is probably a very bad idea to even try keeping an axolotl without one. If you do exist without a test kit, daily water changes of 30 to 50% would seem an essential precaution. If you love your axie, you have no other choice.

bugdozer

Reaction score
I cannot agree strongly enough with the comments about getting a Freshwater Master Test Kit. Without one, it is impossible to know whether your lotl is in a healthy environment or whether you are dangerously stressing it out. It really is a remarkably small investment given how important it is to the well-being of your lotl, and it is probably a very bad idea to even try keeping an axolotl without one. If you do exist without a test kit, daily water changes of 30 to 50% would seem an essential precaution. If you love your axie, you have no other choice.

I think you're somewhat overstating the danger. One axolotl in a 90 litre tank cannot raise ammonia or nitrite to dangerous levels in a 24 hour period unless it's got raging diarrhoea.
However, I do agree that a test kit is essential.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1