Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tank not cycling

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a problem. I have been cycling my tank for a little over a month, and nothuing seems to be happening. My ammonia is at 1ppm right now, but my nitrites keep going really high (5ppm), and it happens almost the instant I add more ammonia, and it doesn't go down on it's own. Sometimes the nitrite spikes without the ammonia levels even lowering. I have been doing water changes, but I can't seem to get the cycle started. I have been seeing nitrates from almost the first week of cycling as well, which I have since heard is unusual. I have been using water dechlorinator (Prime) with every water change, but I have no idea why this is happening? How long should I leave my nitrites at 5pppm before changing it? I usually let it sit for a day or two to see if they will convert to nitrate, is that okay?

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
I dont have experience with cycling aquarium with chemicals. But have you tested your treated tap water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates? If you can get a piece of used filter from cycled tank. It could take as little as 2 days in 10 gallon. Some pet shops will sell them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1