Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Are my axolotls breeding?

Lashy337

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to find my axolotls all in a frenzy around each other-- following each other, pushing each other around, etc. I have one female (Chestopher), and two males (Squadrick and Toothless), and the two males' cloacas seem to be really big and puffed up? And my female, who is usually the aggressive one, is the one being pushed around by the other two, who are usually more docile. It's very odd.

I've read that when mating, the males will leave little sperm packets around the tank, then herd the female over to it? I don't see any sperm packets, but is this something that's maybe happening? I was under the impression that mating season was pretty much over, all the axolotls I know have already laid their eggs in the past few months.

I wasn't sure what to do, so I fed them in hopes they were just hungry and cranky. As soon as I get home, I'm going to do a water change, I'm hoping it's just some PH levels that are weird.

Any ideas what's happening?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!