Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

High levels of nitrate- more regular water changes?

eloiselockyer

Reaction score
Hello, I have had a young adult male axolotl (Smaug) for about a year now. Recently when testing water parameters I have found that the nitrate levels are very high (80ppm), but both nitrite and ammonia levels are at 0. I currently do a 20% water change once a week. Should I perhaps increase this to every 3 days until I can get the nitrate levels down?

katbeck99

Reaction score
Hello! I had a similar problem not too long ago with my axie tank. I'd recommend doing a 50% every day until the levels drop to at least 20ppm. I know it sounds like a lot, but it will be so worth it! When my nitrates were way too high, I did 2-3 50% partial water changes in one day! It was a lot of work, but my nitrates sat at about 10ppm after I had finished. Luckily, nitrates aren't as harmful as ammonia and nitrites, but they can cause damage in the long term. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1