Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: HELP! UNwanted guest/snail pest!

alindlaiyne

Reaction score
Today I fished out what I thought was a stray food pellet in my tank only to find out its actually a snail! In any other tank I would be fine with this, but not in a lotl tank, as I dont want them to eat them and get impacted.

It was only one snail, but I still worry there may already be eggs in my tank. I have no live plants, but it is possible that this guy somehow rode in with the feeder shrimp I bought..I wont be buying feeder shrimp anymore thats for sure!

So what I am asking is, how do I treat an infestation if one should occur? Can I treat the water somehow? Or is my only option to just pick them out if there are indeed others?

The snail is very small. Smaller than a pea. Its body looks to be clear but I am not sure. Its shell also looks clear but has dark spots on it. I put the snail in a cup of water with my avocado pits for now. Maybe as it gets bigger I will be able to better identify it. I like snails, and will probably just keep the little guy. But what do I do about the tank?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
You could leave it in your tank :D
I always have snails with my animals, most will get eaten. If you are concerned you can hand pick them out, some people place a lettuce leaf in your tank to attract the snails.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!