Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New member intro - my baby is either sick or morphing?!?

fishbebefish

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Valerie. This is my first axlotl. His name is toothless. He has been completely fine the whole time I've had his, since Christmas. I feed him earth worms and sometimes those pellets that came w him.
Almost a week ago my axlotls gills shrank up. They are completely gone. It happened very fast. He also has dark spots all over his belly and tail. I have put him in a small tank and change his water two or three times a day. He is still eating and he swims to the top to gulp air. He is also shedding this gunky (for lack of better word), clear colored skin? What can I do for him? Is he morphing? Is he sick? Can I give him vitamins? Please help!!
Also I was talking to my mom and she brought it to my attention, I have fed him bait worms, magic bait worms, to be exact. Could this be my problem? It never occurred to me that it might cause a problem but I didn't check to see if they were organic or not. I feel stupid and horrible. I'm still learning.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Are you aware of the Nitrogen Cycle? Commonly known as the 'Cycle'.

You should read this thread for information related to Cycling.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/105507-new-owner-cycling-help.html

Also, these articles will give you most the information you need to understand Cycling:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

Google shows me that 'Magic bait worm' is actually a company called 'Magic Products' who sell products related to fishing bait, including worm farms. I don't think the species of worm you have are called 'magic bait worm'.. Where are you purchasing your worms?

It sounds to me that your Axolotl is suffering from poor water conditions.

What temperature is your tank water?

Do you have a test kit for testing ammonia, nitrite, nitrAte, and PH?

CocoaAndTea

Reaction score
It might be morphing, are you sure it is an axolotol? It could be a tiger salamander.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Foree

Reaction score
I agree with AxolotlChris we would all be better equipped to assist you if we could see pictures of your axolotl, to determine what it is and what could possibly be wrong. personally I have a barred tiger salamander larva that at first I thought was an axolotl but quickly ruled it out because of his markings and location. So now Im getting a terrestrial tank set up for him when he begins to morph.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!