Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Playing with axolotl

willk7

Reaction score
I'm wondering if its ok to "play" with my axolotl. He's around 3 inches long and I've had him for a couple of months now. Whenever I walk over to his tank he will swim over and sometimes come to the surface and I'll let him bite the end of my finger, is this ok or should I stop? Thanks.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If your hands are sanitised it shouldn't cause any harm, but try to not do it too much just to be safe. My wildtype Bucky is super active and always wants to play so I just drag my finger along the outside of the glass for her to follow, or I'll duck down and pop back up as she usually responds to my face. Rearranging the tank every month will also give them something fun to do, trying to find their favourite spots again.

Herpin Man

Reaction score
It is biting your finger because it thinks it is being fed. For the axolotl, that is frustrating, not playing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!