Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Please help to set-up my Tank

Avoxolt

Reaction score
Hello!I need help with my Axolotls that I may get. I wrote to maaany People, but no one really responded Anyways, I wanted to ask if I should get Axolotl-babies or juveniles or Adults (I want two Axies)?Are 20 Gallons for 2 Axies is enough? And would the Water Flow hurt them if I would use The Tidal 55? I mean it has a big water flow but you can turn it down low and I can get a sponge or a Plant in front of it to slow down the water. What FIlter media are anyone of you using? What FIlter media should I use? And is it bad to have a Planted Fish Tank for them? Or what should I never use/make in the Fish Tank? I really need help with Cycling my brand new fish tank. Should I use biochemicals ( If so what biochemicals)? With what do you de-chlorinated the water? (Btw im a noob and this is my first Fish) Thanks! and a Happy New Year! Have a great day!

(sorry for my English ) :ufo:

TwiistedAcid

Reaction score
Hello there! I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to axolotls but because of people on this forum and through reading I'm pretty sure I have the basics down. Before you get the axolotls your tank should be cycled. I don't know much about cycling yet so i would read up on it more but this is the general process. This can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. But this insures that your creatures will be safe in there water. I got my axie a little over a week ago as a gift so i didn't have time to cycle the tank before hand so i have to put in extra work for a bit, but I'm willing to do anything to keep my axie nice and healthy. to cycle your gonna want to get Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate liquid test kits (strips are unreliable) and an ammonia source (bottled ammonia, fishfood, ect..) put however much ammonia it says in the tank. Eventually bacteria will grow and eat the ammonia and make nitrite. then after you keep doing this for a while bacteria will grow and eat the Nitrate and make Nitrite. This is what you get out through water changes. The end result should be 0 ammonia/nitrite and under 40 nitrate in a cycled tank. I wouldn't use any chemicals as axolotls are sensitive to almost any chemical. I believe there is a place you can check what is safe for them though. you can buy dechlorinator drops at the pet store.Dechlorinate the water before putting it in the tank to avoid killing any benifical bacteria because if they die you may have to restart your cycle. These should be safe for your axies. If you get two axies you'll wanna make sure there old enough to be out of their cannibalistic stage. other than that a 20 gallon should be enough. The general rule of thumb is 10 gallons for each axie. A filter should be fine as long as it has adjustable flow rate. keep it on the lowest setting. My filter media is carbon. you can also block the flow. I'm not sure about the planted fish tank though, I think it would be fine but I may be wrong. Other than that just make sure to keep the tank temperature between 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit or 16-21 degrees Celsius. Also, an axolotl is a type of amphibian, not a fish :D. Good luck with your axies. keep me updated and let me know if you have any further questions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1