Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my axie stressed?

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Hey! I was hoping someone could help me out. Idk if I'm just a paranoid mom but my little girl's gill seem to be curled a bit. Again, it might just be me

Her gills have always been on the longer side, so that might play into it. I have filter with a spray bar angled at the back of the tank so there is barely any flow. I feed her just about once a day and do weekly water changes (20% of the water). I also fixed the lights so it isn't as bright for her. I think I've got this axolotl business down, I just wanna make sure she's as happy as she can be

I added some pictures of her too

Attachments

• IMAG0366.jpg
    IMAG0366.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMAG0342.jpg
    IMAG0342.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 264
  • IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 282

keiko

Reaction score
Looks like a healthy little axie to me. :) If the gills are curled because of stress then they are very curled, like close to the eyes.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Thank you! I wasn't sure what to look for cause I'm a little new at this, and I haven't seen any pictures showing really curled gills. Much appreciated! :p

Se

Reaction score
I'm just going to quickly second that she looks healthy to me. I'm no expert on axolotls but we have several at my work, and I have three at home. Your axie's gills look quite normal to me; various axolotls just seem to hold (or grow?) their gills at varying angles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!