Most effective/cost efficient water chiller?

Pandisaurus

Reaction score
Country
United States
With the weather warming up, I think it may be time to pick up a water chiller for my juvenile axie. I've had an aquarian fan over my 10 gallon tank, shes in the basement away from sunlight, and when I came home she was around 68 degrees, which makes me nervous considering it's only may.
Does anyone have any experience with water chillers? I found a few on amazon that looked inexpensive but I'd rather hear from you guys. How do you keep your axies cool during the summer months?

With the weather warming up, I think it may be time to pick up a water chiller for my juvenile axie. I've had an aquarian fan over my 10 gallon tank, shes in the basement away from sunlight, and when I came home she was around 68 degrees, which makes me nervous considering it's only may.
Does anyone have any experience with water chillers? I found a few on amazon that looked inexpensive but I'd rather hear from you guys. How do you keep your axies cool during the summer months?
I have been recently viewing some info on water chillers. Depending on the tank size, it can cost up to $300+. As you have mentioned your tank is ten gallons, and after some research I have found this: https://www.marinedepot.com/CoolWorks_Microchiller-CW1131-FICHMC-vi.html ; I know the price is high, although other chillers are ridiculously expensive and basically overkill, and others will only lower a 10-gallon aquarium's temperature by 1-3 degrees (negligible, could get a greater cooling power from a fan-setup). For a 10 gallon aquarium the above link could be what you're looking for, albeit with a fairly steep price tag. Another solution could be to just buy an efficient air conditioner. Personally, I have a 55 gallon aquarium running a $250 water chiller, which in conjunction with constant frozen water bottles help keep the tank at around 58-63 degrees Fahrenheit during the summer months.

Hope this helps you in the struggle of cooling an aquarium.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back