The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 25th May 2019   #1
AstroDreamer

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AstroDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weird PH levels?

I came across a discovery today with my axolotl's tank today involving PH levels. The PH where I live is a bit acidic (around 6.0 PH) so Every times I add new water to the tank I add a tiny tiny amount of baking soda. I read on here that that is a good way to slowly increase the PH levels. Today though I noticed that the surface-mid level PH is around 6.0-6.4 but at the bottom it is a lot higher. The bottom of my tank is showing a PH of 7.4. Is this something to be alarmed about and if so what should I do? I have a silica sand substrate, a few plastic plants and a fake half log hide. Would these be the cause of this?

Edit: Sorry all this was a false alarm. The PH levels are perfectly normal and it was my fault for not cleaning out the tubes used for water testing properly. To anyone concerned that I may have gotten the test liquids in the tank from the unclean tubes, I use a syringe to draw water from the tank to put in the tubes. I find it easier to get the correct volume this way

Last edited by AstroDreamer; 25th May 2019 at 06:53. Reason: Problem solved ^^'
AstroDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Weird PH levels?

Glad to see your edit, I had no idea what to say hahaha!
A small bag of crushed coral is also really good at raising and maintaining pH, and you don't have to add it every water change :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2019   #3
AstroDreamer

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: AstroDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayleyy View Post
Glad to see your edit, I had no idea what to say hahaha!
A small bag of crushed coral is also really good at raising and maintaining pH, and you don't have to add it every water change :)

I have heard this a lot too. I'm not sure if there are any small bags of it sold near me and don't particularly want to buy a large bag and only use a tiny amount. Is there anywhere online that I can buy a small bag?

AstroDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I just went to my local fish store (that have marine fish too) and asked for a small bag of it. They had it loose in a box and you can buy as much as you want. I then used a clean stocking/sock thing and tied it closed. You can buy small filter mesh bags which would work as well!

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high ph, ph tests, water ph