Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Brine shrimp hatching and harvesting tutorial

SuperSteve

Reaction score
Found this really good website. I think the bloke who runs it is the same one who sold me a couple of mine. Should I be using dechlorinated water? If so then thats where I've been slipping up.

:: Manchester Axolotls ::

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
How long after hatching are the BBC considered "baby" and suitable for use as food for larvae?

I work in a children's museum and our aquarium staff hatches large numbers of them, but I know they keep the hatched ones for least several days.

It would be great to use these and not have to bother hatching myself, but I am willing to do it at home if they need to be used the same day they are hatched.

Although I have kept axolotls for several years, this is the first time I have had eggs.

I also ordered a starter culture of micro worms and started a daphnia culture today but they are the larger variety, so only the baby daphnia will be suitable until my axolotl babies are a bit more grown up.

mrmiller130

Reaction score
I tried the brine shrimp but i just dont feel like it was enough for them so i jumped them up to blood worms as soon as i could.

Yucca Patrol

Reaction score
Another question: What is the best/easiest way to separate the brine shrimp from the unhatched eggs and hatched egg capsules?

ciele02

Reaction score
Just wanted to say a big thank you for your tutorial. It has worked brilliantly and i had everything i needed on hand. It was a lot better than paying the $30-$70 for the kits I've seen! :eek:

seagull

Reaction score
any tips on getting the brine shrimp a bit bigger for older babies? like how many days do they need? can the brine shrimp be fed a mix of chrushed algae wafers and yeast?

usafaux2004

Reaction score
The babies are more nutrient rich early on. Just make more babies.

Also, I had an issue with a hatchery set up like this. The non upside down bottle with line running top to bottom wouldn't stir the bottom on the opposite side and eggs would clump and not hatch there.

seagull

Reaction score
The babies are more nutrient rich early on. Just make more babies.

Also, I had an issue with a hatchery set up like this. The non upside down bottle with line running top to bottom wouldn't stir the bottom on the opposite side and eggs would clump and not hatch there.
last time i hatched brineys i simply took the tube, strung it through a closed portion cup with magnets in it and put it in there
that way the tube was on the bottom in the center with the opening parallel to the floor so a big bubble rose to the surface to stir everything evenly

usafaux2004

Reaction score
Mine formed a coil around the bottom, but still left a dead spot on the opposite empty side. Had a freak out my second feeding day because I had tested the set up on the upside down set up before they hatched and it was all good. Then the first day I used it to make it fine too. Second patch went to **** in that set up, but I hadn't dumped the first, and it still had some shrimp left, so I managed. Since then I've bought a second kit (could have made it..but it was like $15 and was nice and plastic), and use the two alternating.

sde

Reaction score
Man, everybody has been saying "great tutorial" and I have to say, it really seems to be. I have had bad luck with them in the past, but the next time I have babies I will do this method, seems like it will work great! Thanks for the great tutorial! :cool: lol.

Aschneider8

Reaction score

auntiejude

Reaction score
With your babies- how often are you clearing out the dead brine from their water?
You need to celan out larvae tubs at least daily, but BBS die within about 4 hours in freshwater and need to be removed ASAP. I use a turkey baster to remove most of them after 4 hours.

I use a coarse net and gently pour the entire contents of a tub (larvae, dead BBS, waste and water) through it. The dead BBS, poop and water fall straight through, the larvae are caught in the net and can be transferred to a clean tub.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Not opposite exactly. Don't use any iodized salt, use table salt, sea salt etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1