Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N. crocatus setup questions

ekocak

Reaction score
I was recently able to acquire some N. crocatus. I have them in a well-circulated tank, water is about 4" deep, and a number of stacked limestone rocks + 1 angled piece of slate to allow completely getting out of the water. I left out plants, as it seemed from reading through posts here that they dont need or desire them. So far, theyre very secretive but that might just be settling in. Did observe one of them eating a red wiggler. Temperature is 62 F. Anything I'm missing or should look out for? Thanks.

stavroske

Reaction score
I was recently able to acquire some N. crocatus. I have them in a well-circulated tank, water is about 4" deep, and a number of stacked limestone rocks + 1 angled piece of slate to allow completely getting out of the water. I left out plants, as it seemed from reading through posts here that they dont need or desire them. So far, theyre very secretive but that might just be settling in. Did observe one of them eating a red wiggler. Temperature is 62 F. Anything I'm missing or should look out for? Thanks.

Temperature is good, they also do well on warmer temperatures around 20°C. Setup sounds good. They don't need plants but they can appreciate it if it gives them some extra hiding spots.
They tolerate pretty roughly flowing water but make sure it does not circulate too hard Trough the whole aquarium. A smooth flow is better than rough circulation.

salvoz

Reaction score
Setup seems good. Mine are kept at temps in the low 70s and have never appeared stressed with that. They also breed each year with no winter cooling beyond modest swings in ambient indoor temps. Very adaptable and hardy newts in my experience. On the plants, I certainly agree they are not necessary, but in the tanks where I have them (e.g., java fern and java moss), they seem to enjoy crawling through them and resting on them just below the surface, so it seems to me they are appreciated to that extent at least. Plants are also very good for helping to maintain water quality....

ekocak

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. I've actually had them for a year now and they seem to be thriving. It appears I have two males and two females, and there's frequent tail fanning going on at night, but so far no eggs that I can see.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!