Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra salamandra salamandra burrowing

MisterWayne

Reaction score
I have a pair of Sss, 1.1 and they seem to be borrowing a lot. I have good temps 66-68F ( 18.9- 20C) day time. Night time temps 62-64 (16.6-17.7C). I mist every other day to every two days. Has anyone who keeps Sss witnessed this? I have talked to a few other breeders and keepers and my enclosure seems to be fine. I don't if this behavior is common? I have noticed them slowing down their eating too. They have taken food just not as much as they normally do. Any thoughts or advice would be great. thanks everyone.

MisterWayne

Reaction score
I have been asking around, there seems to be mixed thoughts on this behavior. I did look up older threads on the salamandra section of the forms, and I don't seem to get a definite answer.... However after talking with some breeders I don't this behavior is much to worry about. I was in the habit of checking on them almost daily, and early in the morning when I leave for work. I would use my cell phone light to look around the enclosure. I think what happened is i freaked the poor things out. I don't think they feel safe under their hides. But I will limit my checking on them when its feeding time.

Jensino

Reaction score
Burrowing is definitely a normal behavior in firesalamanders, not to the extent of mole salamanders, but they dig as well, especially if there is a lack of suitable hiding spots.

As long as they show above ground at night from time to time, you should not be worried.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
How humid is their habitat? To much humidity is bad for them. It is better to have a gradient of moisture levels in the habitat and under hides.

Tony89

Reaction score
I always mist one side of their enclosure so the other stays relatively drier. I also stacked cork so they can hide in between if the soil gets too wet. Do you have a picture of your setup?

MisterWayne

Reaction score
I believe i am providing them a gradient. I only spray half of the tank, and the enclosure has a screen lid. Nothing is blocking the air flow, no lights on it. They are out of direct sunlight too. I believe what happening is im checking on them too much. Im pretty sure I stressed them out. I was in the habit of looking at them almost once a day and very early in the morning when I leave for work. I would use my cell phone light to look in the enclosure and I assume they didn't feel safe under their hides. I placed more cork bark in the tank and will only check on them before feeding. I hope this will help them feel safer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!