The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 1st February 2015   #1
Dudzie
(dudzie)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: dudzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Transporting axolotl eggs, help! !

I have read several articles on shipping axolotl eggs, but I'll ask for your advice anyways :)

I need advice on how to transport some axolotl eggs for about three days.. they will be in a car all the time from Thursday night to Saturday. so getting crushed (like when shipping) is not a problem..

The car will be cold and turmed of for about 40 hours straight.

Any tips on how to get them transported safely? :)

dudzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015   #2
Laura
(LSuzuki)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information
Default Re: Transporting axolotl eggs, help! !

Quote:
The car will be cold and turmed of for about 40 hours straight.
This is what makes giving an answer hard. What is the weather forecast?

Usually, the answer would be, just put them in a plastic bag with some water and air and protect from temperature extremes. But if it is very cold, you are going to have to find some way to keep them from getting too cold without making them too hot.

Perhaps a small cooler with a heat pack?

Is there any reason you can't take the eggs with you while you aren't in the car?

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015   #3
Dudzie
(dudzie)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSuzuki View Post
Perhaps a small cooler with a heat pack?

Is there any reason you can't take the eggs with you while you aren't in the car?
It's my aunt that is going to transport them, and they will on a ferry for about 40 hours..
she only agreed take them with her if she wouldnt notice that the egg were there..

but! I read something about having the eggs in dvd/cd cases.. that would be quite unnoticeablr (id that even a word?), and she might agree to take the eggs with her.. (but then i fear that they might get tol warm, cause her room is quite small and pretty much always warm.. -.-'
but it just sound so weird keeping therein a dvd case for so long :/

Old 2nd February 2015   #4
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I'd put them in a Thermos to keep the temp stable.

Old 2nd February 2015   #5
Heather at HMSG

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Heather at HMSG has given good advice and informationHeather at HMSG has given good advice and informationHeather at HMSG has given good advice and information

While I agree that fluctuations in temperature may be bad, I disagree that they could get too cold.
Last February I discarded some eggs in my water butt, which catches roof water, as a sort of 'experiment', rather that letting all the eggs die. It froze over several times, & eggs were at the surface, & still, about 3 months later I found myself with 20+ viable babies, that had cleared the water butt of shrimps! They are all rearing well now indoors in a cool room.

Heather

Heather at HMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015   #6
Dudzie
(dudzie)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather at HMSG View Post
While I agree that fluctuations in temperature may be bad, I disagree that they could get too cold.
That sounds amazing
so if i put the eggs in a container, and put the container in a thermal bag, they should be safe? :)

Old 3rd February 2015   #7
Laura
(LSuzuki)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

It still depends how cold it is going to be in the car. If it is going to be too far below freezing, that might not be enough.

I like AutieJude's suggestion on a thermos bottle - that provides both physical and thermal protection.

I had read elsewhere that eggs are more susceptible to cold than adults, but maybe that isn't the case. Regardless, I would adjust the temperature slowly after the trip. (The thermos would be good for that too.)

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015   #8
Dudzie
(dudzie)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSuzuki View Post
It still depends how cold it is going to be in the car. If it is going to be too far below freezing, that might not be enough
I'm 95% sure that it won't freeze.. :)

Old 4th September 2019   #9
Tim the MossMan

Nationality:
Rep: Tim the MossMan is an unknown quantity at this point

will this method of transport also work for newt eggs?
also, will the eggs be affected by movement and can u put the eggs inside a small glass container wrapped with fabric before putting it in the thermos?

Tim the MossMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aolotl eggs, axolotl, shipping, transport, transporting