The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 25th September 2019   #1
LadyAmalthea

Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default Axolotl deformity?

Hi everyone! I'm trying to find some information on what my little Axolotl baby might have. This baby was the product of a first and only breeding between my almost 1 year olds before realizing I had a boy and a girl. Mom and Dad are not siblings. I removed Yoshi from the general baby population when I noticed she was much smaller than everyone else. She is now 5 weeks and 4 days old. Her siblings are all doing well and growing quickly, and she's still very small and physically different looking. Someone had suggested dwarfism, but so far I've been unable to find any photos of a Dwarf Axolotl as a baby. She eats live baby Brine Shrimp still while her siblings have moved on to Bloodworms, but she eats well and doesn't struggle to swim. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190924_215548.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	948.9 KB
ID:	55988   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190924_215433.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	741.1 KB
ID:	55989   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190924_215507.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	55990  

Old 25th September 2019   #2
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl deformity?

Its a cull. Most batches of eggs have deformed or weaker larvae. In the wild they wouldnt survive. In captivity they only survive because they get seperated from their siblings who would eventually eat them. Theres a few threads about responsible breeding in this forumn, i suggest you read them.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Kitan

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 1
Rep: Kitan has given good advice and informationKitan has given good advice and information
Default Re: Axolotl deformity?

HECK FREAKIN NO.

This is not a creature that will be released into the wild, so you are not messing with natural selection. *SMH* Keep an eye on it and as long as it is eating and performing as an axolotl should (swimming, pooping, ect) with no other obvious deformities that would cause it to have a poor quality of life, you should CARE FOR IT, not freakin cull it. Poor thing.

Keep us up to date on how the little stubblet does :)

Kitan is offline   Reply With Quote