Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Algae invasion!!!

Jess

Reaction score
Over the past couple of weeks my tank has been becoming overrun with algae!

It doesn't matter how many time I clean it, or rinse the filter, or vaccuum the sand, it comes back the next day. It is all over the fake plants, the rocks, my hide caves, the glass walls of my tank, EVERYTHING!!

Does anyone know what may be causing this sudden algae growth? My tank has never done this before.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Have you got the tank near to a window?
I find that plays hell with mine and I try to keep the curtains half drawn when its sunny(ha ha).
Also I recently added some large apple snails and they seem to be helping keep algae growth down.
You could try keeping a little bit growing in a part of the tank that is less noticeable, that can help keep it down in the parts you see all the time.

coichards

Reaction score
Algaes' main food is light so maybe put the tank, filter and parts in the dark for a few days to kill it while its in the dark put the axies in another tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!