Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lost Gill filaments and Floating- Hasnt eaten since i got him! please help!

ReneeS

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was just wondering if you could help....

i have a new sick axie that i purchased about 10-12 days ago now.. he has not eaten since i have got him home from the shop. i know that the change of tank environment can send him off his food... however, in the last week he has lost all his gill filaments, is 'molting' and started to float...

i have removing him from the tank i had him in (all water tests were fine- was done by an aquarium shop and i have been testing it regularly), and have put him in a container that he can touch the bottom... however i am worried that because he hasnt eaten for so long and due to his gill filament loss he has reduced oxygen uptake capabilites, that he is going to have trouble recovering.....

What should i do??

i have heard of fridging, but am worried about doing it as i have heard this also sends them off food, and he already hasnt eaten for so long
Also what are the benefits for doing this? i know that it slows down their metabolic rate, but how does fridging aid in recovery?
How is the correct way to fridge if i must do this? and is there any other things i can do to aid his recovery or get him to eat?

I have attached photos...

Thanks Renee

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Renee, here are the instructions for posting photos:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55492

Theory behind fridging is that (1) you put the animal at a temperature that is well-tolerated by the axie, but not well tolerated by bacteria or fungi (2) you get the axolotl out of excessive heat, if that's a problem and (3) you reduce the axie's metabolic requirement, i.e., they burn very little energy reserves while they are cold.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What kind of foods are you offering? What exactly are your water parameters? You need to test specifically for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. How warm is your water?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1