Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Fire Belly Newt :(

EmbryH

Reaction score
I'm REALLY worried about my fire bellied newt. About two weeks after I bought him, he developed a fungus infection. I thought I caught it early, and I researched some methods of treating it, so I put him in the fridge and gave him mild salt baths every 12 hours, as suggested by various online sources. After the fungus disappeared, I continued the treatment for 3 more days, as suggested, but I felt like they were stressing him out more than helping, so I lessened the concentration of the saltwater. (I noticed that he seemed to be shedding his skin, which I know is normal, but the fungus had also left sores on him, which worried me) After that, I felt like it would be alright to put him back in his tank. (I had already super-cleaned his tank and all the rocks and plants and things with very hot water -no soaps or chemicals) His tank is filled with dechlorinated water, which I try to keep at or below 70F. He has a rock he can climb onto, and some plants and things. It seemed like a good set up.

But after that, he still wouldn't eat, and then the fungus came back. I put him in the fridge again, and I want to try actual medicine, but I haven't been able to get any yet. I feel like the salt stresses him out too much, and it hurts his sores, plus, when I bathe him now his sores start bleeding. He hasn't eaten in 2 weeks and I'm worried he won't be strong enough to make it through this second wave of infection, and also his skin is shedding AGAIN, so now I'm worried that being in the water too much is making his skin deteriorate.

I've been trying to figure out if being in the water too much is bad for them, or what to do for his skin sores, but I can't find ANYTHING and I'm so worried about him. I feel like he's suffering and I have no idea what to do.

I was considering putting him in a mostly terrestrial environment, since he seems to seek out dry land now, and seeing if he might be able to heal up and maybe eat at some point. Is this a good idea? Will the fungus not be able to grow in a drier environment? (I'd of course have SOME water for him, but not submerged)

Please help. I'm so stressed out and worried for him. I feel like he's suffering and I have no idea what to do and I can't find any information to help. Everything I've found so far seems to contradict itself.

I've read things that say "keep them in 80+ degrees" or "keep them in 60-70 degrees" or give them 4-6 inches of water or just one inch. NOTHING is being helpful, and no sites are telling me how to treat him or if being in the water too much is harmful or anything.

Please, please, please help. I've been trying so hard to take care of him and I feel like I'm being given all the wrong information. Please help.

EmbryH

Reaction score
Thanks, but I've read this. It still doesn't tell me if keeping him in water is going to hurt him more. I need to someone to actually tell me these things, because I can't find them anywhere :(

Kribby

Reaction score
Thanks, but I've read this. It still doesn't tell me if keeping him in water is going to hurt him more. I need to someone to actually tell me these things, because I can't find them anywhere :(

Hi Embry H,

The thing to keep in mind is that there are always many ways to do something write and more ways to do something wrong. There will never be one difinitve answer, it is more about choosing the options that make sense at the time. I know enough to realise that I am far from an expert on any subject, but for what it is worth I will try to help you sort through some of the questions you have asked.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But after that, he still wouldn't eat, and then the fungus came back. I put him in the fridge again, and I want to try actual medicine, but I haven't been able to get any yet. I feel like the salt stresses him out too much, and it hurts his sores, plus, when I bathe him now his sores start bleeding. He hasn't eaten in 2 weeks and I'm worried he won't be strong enough to make it through this second wave of infection, and also his skin is shedding AGAIN, so now I'm worried that being in the water too much is making his skin deteriorate.

Sick animals often do not eat. The process of eating and digesting food is quite taxing energetically and right now he needs all his engery to try anf fight the infection. Newts can go a couple weeks (if a decent weight before hand) before I'd become concerned. He is pushing MY comfort time frame a bit, but stressing him out trying to make him eat won't help.

Shedding is his way of trying to fight the infection. It is a good way to remove parasites and it is a natural process don't be too concerned about it. Shedding means he is still strong and fighting it.

Clean water won't hurt anything, but treatment is easier in a controlled environment so you may want to move him to just a damp papertowel substrate. It is easy to clean daily and makes putting him in the fridge easier.

Bleeding sores is not a bad thing. It is how a body cleans them out. It isn't strictly good, but it isn't something to stress yourself over. The main thing is that after they bleed, make sure nothing gets in them after. Maybe put some polysporin on them (just a thin coating).

As to ACTUAL medication, don't sell salt short. It is a great dissinfectant and it is one of the gentlest treatments to the animal that you can use. Antibiotics work on the premis that they will kill the infection before the host (the name even means Against Life). Iodine can be useful, but again it is rather toxic. Peroxide will also damage healthy skin. If salt is helping to clear it up, I would stick with that treatment. If the sore becomes worse, then up the treatement anty a bit.

I've been trying to figure out if being in the water too much is bad for them, or what to do for his skin sores, but I can't find ANYTHING and I'm so worried about him. I feel like he's suffering and I have no idea what to do.

I was considering putting him in a mostly terrestrial environment, since he seems to seek out dry land now, and seeing if he might be able to heal up and maybe eat at some point. Is this a good idea? Will the fungus not be able to grow in a drier environment? (I'd of course have SOME water for him, but not submerged)

You are doing your best for him, that is all you can really do. It is all any of us can do. I would put him in a terrestrial environment for now. See my above statement about it being easier to keep clean. Just keep the papertowel slightly damp.

I've read things that say "keep them in 80+ degrees" or "keep them in 60-70 degrees" or give them 4-6 inches of water or just one inch. NOTHING is being helpful, and no sites are telling me how to treat him or if being in the water too much is harmful or anything.

80+ degrees would just stress him out. We recommend lower temperatures for newts undergoing treatment for a couple of reasons:
1. The lower temperature slows their metabolism, meaning they do not need to eat as much. This is important for animals that are not eating.
2. It reduces the environmental stress
3. It slows the growth of bacterial. Hoter temperatures increase bacteria growth. If you are trying to kill it, this doesn't help

I hope that this helps a bit. If anyone wants to comment further, please do.

EmbryH

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I put him in a terrestrial environment with a damp paper towel and some hiding spaces. Should he stay at room temp (we keep the place low 70 high 60 F) or put him in the fridge? I was worried if he wasn't in water, he'd literally freeze in the fridge... Also, it isn't bad that he's shedding for a second time so soon?

Thank you so much for your help. You've calmed me so much.

Kribby

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I put him in a terrestrial environment with a damp paper towel and some hiding spaces. Should he stay at room temp (we keep the place low 70 high 60 F) or put him in the fridge? I was worried if he wasn't in water, he'd literally freeze in the fridge... Also, it isn't bad that he's shedding for a second time so soon?

Thank you so much for your help. You've calmed me so much.

I am glad that I was able to help you feel better at least. It is hard when something we care about is ill and we can't seem to find the information we want fast enough. Or clear enough.

I am not an expert on shedding, by far. But from my understanding as long as he is shedding healthly (ie the skin is comming off pretty much as a whole) it is not a problem. That is how they grow and it could be part of the healing process.

Your place doesn't sound too warm, so you could try keeping him out of the fridge and see how he responds to treatment, but don't worry about him freezing. These guys do go through a cold hybernation period naturally and fridging them is a common practice when they are ill (and to help induce breeding).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1