Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Tea bath caused upset/Stress/lethargy??

Caesar

Reaction score
wow. My axolotl currently has the same exact thing going on. I've done a few salt bath and he seems fine and healthy. I was going to try a tea bath...
I read up on it and I heard that it wasn't supposed to have much effect either?

Was the tea just black? Any flavoring?? :smile:

Caesar

Reaction score

I am a bad communicator over text :cry:
I guess I can't offer you solid advice bc I though the tea would have worked,
Here is a picture of my axie:
http://tinypic.com/r/2ql5myv/9

Do you dechlorinate your water?

Sam Of Kent

Reaction score
Hi, yea just 2x PG tips. Maybe it was too strong? It was very very dark water. Her eye has continued to recover some more though :)
I think 1 tea bag for a 24l tank is fine next time.

And of course I began with dechlorinated water :) I even let it settle at least an hour or two (if I can't age it a day). Then wait 5-10 min after mixing in conditioner well.

She's behaving much more normally now, after a few hours in a cool (10c) dark tub of fresh water. She ate 2 sinking pellets & tiny pieces of Prawn. Then I decided it best to put her back in the tank, but remove some of the tank decoration as she's injured herself before and i think she's suffers from a sense of crowding (I can tell by the awkward movement around - she's quite active and likes turning around alot!)

Caesar

Reaction score
Great to hear that she's doing better! :wacko: :p
Has her eye cleared up yet?

Sam Of Kent

Reaction score
She's eating like she's a hungry beast again lol :)
And her eye looks stable i.e. not worse.

Now I'm wondering if shes got belly slime coat issue or scarring? I don't think it's fungus? and there's also a tip of something on her left 'index' finger.

I'm keeping a regular daily physical conditon look over and water quality check, and so far - over two days everything has been stable and good. If the eye, belly surface lumps and finger thing don't reduce then I'll add 1 tea to her 40l (As a light touch) - or I set up a seperate tea tank again.

Also, her gills are slightly forward - but always have been (sometimes less so with fresh water - but the tank is cyceled now and stable it seems). I can't think what else it could be...apart from, maybe it's her natural stance? I also wondered if she felt crowded in her tank and have removed objects now, but shes the same. Also, following the tea bath confussion her tail tip has started to curl? Again, her tank set up hasn't really changed at all - the chemical and temp parameters seem stable. ????

Attachments

• Recovering eye Jan 2016.JPG
    Recovering eye Jan 2016.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 648
  • Recovering eye Jan 2016_2.JPG
    Recovering eye Jan 2016_2.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 207
  • Recovering eye Jan 2016_3.jpg
    Recovering eye Jan 2016_3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Recovering eye Jan 2016_4.JPG
    Recovering eye Jan 2016_4.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 256

Sam Of Kent

Reaction score
The above photos are of her eye recovering (first pic is original condition).

These are her index finger and belly bumps, and current tank set up - maybe this 45l is still too small? ...I also tried to get one of her tail too....

Thanks for looking! :p

Attachments

• Index finger.JPG
    Index finger.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Index finger2.JPG
    Index finger2.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Belly.JPG
    Belly.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 264
  • belly_2.JPG
    belly_2.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 210
  • tail.JPG
    tail.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 335
  • tank set up.jpg
    tank set up.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 350

Skudo09

Reaction score
I doubt the tea baths were the cause of the negative effects you experienced. The White 'bumps' appear to be normal colouration. Or at least I cannot see anything abnormal. The tank is too small and it would be best to upgrade. Make sure you get the new tank fully cycled before you transfer over.

Caesar

Reaction score
The ears curled forward seem fine. It's only a real problem when they're curled to the point of touching her head. My axolotls gills look the same as yours! ;)

Sam Of Kent

Reaction score
Thanks for the input - I read that 40l was an ok minimum, but she looks like she's outgrowing it already! :S
And yep, I always set up a transfer cycle of water and media to a new tank prior to commiting her to it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1