Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New here, need a little advice

brucedickinson

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie here. I had two fire-bellied newts as a kid (or at least, I think that's what they were, the pet store just called them "salamanders.") They were a lot of fun to watch, but that was many years ago. Honestly, I was so young it was my parents that did the caretaking of those little fellas, not me. These days, my pets have been of the mammalian variety (rats and cats). Anyway, I am interested in getting a few slimy friends in the future.

I've done a bit of research here and on other sites. Axolotls seem (and look!) awesome, but I don't think they are what I want to start with. Tiger salamanders also seem great, but, I know they are illegal in California. I am in Seattle, Washington, and I couldn't find any information about their legality in my area. I would also prefer a semi-aquatic or aquatic species (though this might be contradictory with "newbie," I realize). Could anyone recommend a newbie-friendly species? Any and all advice is appreciated!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First I think you should resolve whether you prefer to maintain a terrarium or an aquatic tank. There are pros and cons to each, but it generally comes down to personal preference. Also consider whether you prefer a wild-caught animal (the best source being the great outdoors locally) versus captive bred.

Once you narrow down the choices, you may want to post your question in the Newt & Sal help section of the forum. You'll get more answers there.

Oh, and by the way... welcome!:happy:

spankyruby148

Reaction score
Re: New here

I just bought my first AXO a couple of weeks ago. He looks full grown, he is an albino and we are just starting to get acquainted with one another. I hope I am looking after him properly. He looks and acts healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!